Talk

Advanced search

Winter

(41 Posts)
Polkadotties Sun 01-Oct-17 18:55:38

I know it's still a long way off but is there any indication of what winter will be like this year. Had to clip my horse much earlier this year than last year, he was starting to resemble a woolly mammoth. My yard owner and I were pondering whether the horses know something we don't and we are in for a cold one.

Sallycinnamum Mon 02-Oct-17 19:20:48

Ooh yes me too. Been reading the netweather forums and theres not much talk of a cold winter yet.

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 04-Oct-17 11:55:14

It's quite wintery today I'm in SE.
We did have quite a mild winter last year, so maybe we will be in for a cold one?
I do hope we get some snow though.

GloriaSmud Wed 04-Oct-17 13:14:12

Some weather websites are already looking ahead.

TheWeatherOutlook) (going for chance of a colder winter slightly higher than in recent years.)
Bit early for netweather and their winter forecast but their forecaster is looking at signs in nature when it comes to winter.
And metcheck looking at the year ahead.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 05-Oct-17 15:59:42

I’ll be back a bit later with some thoughts - If I have any grin

leesmum Thu 05-Oct-17 18:08:44

Ohhhhh dare I say that a Snow watch is on the horizon? grin

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 05-Oct-17 18:10:13

lees I wish grin Where I am we never get proper snow sad The last time It was good proper snow was 2009-2010.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 07-Oct-17 09:39:55

I’m not expecting snow watch yet. met office are saying it is more likely to be a warm wet Oct-Dec than a cold period.

Ginandplatonic Sat 07-Oct-17 10:02:15

Ooh I'm interested in this too. Visiting UK/France/Italy/Switzerland in Dec/Jan from Australia. Snow would be awesome! But I know from several years living there that London in Christmas is just likely to be cold and damp.

Ginandplatonic Sat 07-Oct-17 10:02:48

London at Christmas

Polkadotties Sat 07-Oct-17 10:06:08

We haven't had proper snow here in Essex for years.
Hate wet, warmish winters. Everything is covered in mud. Much prefer cold crisp days.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 07-Oct-17 10:11:35

or even warm and damp Gin!

I don’t actually do seasonal forecasting, it’s way beyond me and any attempt I have made in the past has been wrong. So if you all like I’ll predict warm and wet in an attempt to sway the weather.

Ginandplatonic Sat 07-Oct-17 10:45:23

We'll be coming from Aus summer Kitten so probably won't feel warm to us! Don't want wet though.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 07-Oct-17 13:35:02

lol! that’s true!

GloriaSmud Sun 08-Oct-17 17:58:23

No snow for us just yet but up in Spitsbergen, the first snow of autumn/winter has arrived.

ScaryMary81 Sun 08-Oct-17 18:04:18

www.weatherwithouttechnology.co.uk/contact.html

ScaryMary81 Sun 08-Oct-17 18:07:19

David king is amazing he uses nature and natural cycles to predict at 90% accuracy! featured on this morning on itv and had a bet with Holly regarding a holiday in cornwall and was right, he advises many official agencies and works on bbc radio also.

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 08-Oct-17 18:22:00

I love the winter watch threads - @OhYouBadBadKitten and @GloriaSmud are both very knowledgable.

I have seen my first snow of the season. Unfortunately, not here, but high up in the Alps three weeks ago while travelling on the Bernina Railway.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 08-Oct-17 20:34:18

ScaryMary who verifies David Kings predictions, what methodology do they use and what criteria do they use to define success?

ScaryMary81 Sun 08-Oct-17 21:26:02

www.weatherwithouttechnology.co.uk/wheather_without_technology_tv_and_radio.html

BadKitten please follow the link for a full list of who he works with on tv and radio as to long a list

ScaryMary81 Sun 08-Oct-17 21:27:07

Home
About Me
Explanation
Further Information
Forecasts
Contact
Television & Radio
Latest – BBC Radio Leeds, Sunday 6th December
The Paul Hudson Weather Show
My next appearence and contribution to the Paul Hudson Weather Show (BBC Radio Leeds) will be Sunday 6th December 2017, it will include my advance weather predictions for that region.

Previous TV and Radio Contributions have included
TELEVISION:
BBC World Service News

BBC 1

BBC 1 South East News

BBC South News

BBC Look South

BBC Countryfile

ITV This Morning Show

KMTV

RADIO:
BBC Radio 3

BBC Radio 4

BBC Radio 5 Live

BBC Radio York and syndicated stations

BBC World Service

Radio Lincolnshire

Numerous BBC Local Radio stations from Norfolk to Inverness BBC Local Radio syndicated UK evening programs BBC Radio Staffordshire Several local Independent radio stations.

Currently the sole amateur participant in Radio 4 Weather experiment being conducted by Roger Harrabin, the BBC Environmental Correspondent on behalf of the Today programme.

Back
© Weather Without Technology 2015-2017Site by Buzz Digital

Whatslovegottodo Sun 08-Oct-17 21:32:30

Looks an interesting thread thank you! Will be keeping an eye on it.
October is often warmer in reality to me than I think of it as being - temps of 18-19 predicted this week and I'm in the north west with generally poor weather!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 08-Oct-17 22:09:44

That’s really not an answer at all Scary!

ScaryMary81 Sun 08-Oct-17 22:18:26

badkitten perhaps you can use the links, I provided to find the answer for yourself, if it is of interest to you.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 08-Oct-17 22:36:53

if you could point me to specifically where the 90% accuracy claim is made, that would be helpful. I am interested, I never ask for information I’m not interested in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now