Talk

Advanced search

OYBK - Lake District in a caravan next week? Yay or nay?

(14 Posts)
PossumInAPearTree Tue 14-Mar-17 19:13:49

I'm looking at the weather outlook site and forecast is dire. Was planning on going this Friday and staying till Friday next week. Fri, sat, sun look awful, mon not great. Tues, Weds, thurs ok.

But if it's 50/50 awful/ok I'm not keen on going. Can cope with a bit of wet but not bad wind and a load of rain.

But BBC forecast looks better than the weather outlook one. Which do you think is more accurate?

Crumbs1 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:18:50

BBC is usually OK but it's a bit far ahead to be panicky. We're on way back from Langdales and thought we'd have rain all day every day but have been walking in t shirts and even went paddling.

PossumInAPearTree Tue 14-Mar-17 19:29:58

Thanks Crumbs. The impression I get is that it's meant to be quite nice at the present and take a sharp turn for the worst on Friday!

Crumbs1 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:01:32

Hope not but it's a good excuse to stop hiking and retire to a pub with a fire!

PossumInAPearTree Tue 14-Mar-17 20:06:06

True. But I'm going on my own and tend to get bored with overlong enforced pub stops, coffee stops. I'd rather spend all day walking! grin

I have bad memories of last Easter in Yorkshire with 40mph winds and torrential rain and three days sat in the caravan watching tents collapse.

Crumbs1 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:23:34

Plan in some low level walks that are safe regardless of weather? Fingers crossed

PossumInAPearTree Tue 14-Mar-17 20:28:06

Thanks. Will see what the forecast is like Thursday afternoon and make a decision then I guess.

Flyinggeese Tue 14-Mar-17 20:44:59

Hope you get to go OP. By the way what does OYBK stand for? Been trying to figure it out and will kick myself when you say I just know...

PossumInAPearTree Tue 14-Mar-17 20:47:23

It's OhYouBadKitten.....a MNer who is very knowledgable about weather forecasts. Was hoping she might see this thread!

Flyinggeese Tue 14-Mar-17 20:50:02

Oh, thanks! Think there's a newfangled thing where @ with username can sometimes alert posters. Someone may know more...

PossumInAPearTree Tue 14-Mar-17 21:37:13

@ohyoubadkitten

Thanks, will try it!

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 15-Mar-17 08:36:40

Hello smile I am here now!

I think you may discover exactly why there are so many Lakes there. It does look pretty grim at the moment with lots of rain and not very warm. I'd consider this one carefully.

PossumInAPearTree Wed 15-Mar-17 12:20:41

Thanks. Think I've pretty much decided I'm staying at home. Not worth the drive to miserable for a week.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 15-Mar-17 14:05:53

I think that might be a good call!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now