Talk

Advanced search

Storm Doris. - Amber warnings central UK

(297 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 21-Feb-17 11:35:28

uh oh

No idea where this sprung up from, I've been a bit neglectful. Warnings of a short period of 70-80mph winds. Very nasty. Met office warning of widespread disruption, unsurprising if winds are to be that strong.

Can people keep this one bumped please, its going to catch a lot of people out I think.

ThornyBird Tue 21-Feb-17 11:37:57

I thought we'd had Storm Doris a couple of weeks ago blush I'm in Cornwall and I'm sure the local paper was banging on about it

runninglikemad Tue 21-Feb-17 11:39:28

Very high winds in Scotland tomorrow and worse for England and Wales Thursday I think.

We had Barbara didn't we, what was the C storm can't remember...

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 21-Feb-17 11:41:06

Reading the weather boards, it seems to have been a very recent feature to be modelled. but blimey, it has some nasty potential.

Newtssuitcase Tue 21-Feb-17 11:41:07

Oh blimey, we have a few unhappy looking trees and I was only thinking yesterday that we've been lucky not to have much wind this winter.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 21-Feb-17 11:41:37

Doris didnt come, this is Doris 2 grin

Newtssuitcase Tue 21-Feb-17 11:44:08

Just looking out of the window at least two of my unhappy trees are very likely to come down if the wind is strong.
Bugger

Maudlinmaud Tue 21-Feb-17 11:47:39

No mention of a storm on bbc NI weather, just windy with showers. Maybe we will escape this one.

Newtssuitcase Tue 21-Feb-17 11:53:26

Its on the main BBC website

JillJ72 Tue 21-Feb-17 12:02:09

Looks like it'll be a blowy few days OYBBK. We have 40mph gusts due in the early hours, and then the warning for Thursday has just popped up, along with your thread 50mph+. We're in Bucks. Batten down the hatches, and for chicken lockdowns, make sure their homes are safely fastened.

Bumping.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 21-Feb-17 12:28:52

chicken lock downs are a worry. Tarps are going to be taking down structures if they are tied too well.

GloriaSmud Tue 21-Feb-17 14:18:41

Well this one came from nowhere, didn't it!
It isn't often Leicester's under an amber warning but it's (just about) under this one~ will have to make sure everything's weighted down tomorrow.

GloriaSmud Tue 21-Feb-17 14:20:01

And I've just remembered Thursday is bin day for us ~ that will make things interesting!

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 21-Feb-17 14:29:19

Could be a bit messy Gloria!
I think it's caught us all out.

AQuietMind Tue 21-Feb-17 14:30:48

We just had our amber warning for 80 mile winds in Lincolnshire.

leesmum Tue 21-Feb-17 16:13:08

We've had an Amber warning for all day Thursday, very strong winds. Thanks for the Heads up ladies 🍃🍃🍃

runninglikemad Tue 21-Feb-17 16:18:03

C was Conor, did Conor ever materialise either?!

MadisonAvenue Tue 21-Feb-17 16:18:20

I'm in Staffordshire and we've got an amber warning for Thursday. Looks like the usual morning dog walk in the woods is off!

fannydaggerz Tue 21-Feb-17 16:24:36

I'm hoping my trampoline will still be in the garden when I wake up tomorrow.

JillJ72 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:25:15

Forgot about it being bin day.....

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 21-Feb-17 16:37:20

Conor was the Christmas day/ Boxing day storm over northern Scotland.

seasidesally Tue 21-Feb-17 16:52:37

i refuse to believe it,far far south coast here

every "storm"has failed to happen and im sure the BBC in particular tend to over play it and ends up as a few gusts of wind

im sure its to do with that hurricane Michael Fish didnt predict 20+yrs ago

also all weather in the media is getting silly with its end of the world predictions

its gonna be huge winds now ive had a rant,isnt it grin

TwitterQueen1 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:55:45

Doris never materialised. She was a no-show.

seasidesally Tue 21-Feb-17 17:03:46

i know,i think the met is so so scared of getting caught out they air on the side of worst case

i do love some dramatic weather and a good weather thread though

obviously before anybody says of course no bad outcomes for people and property etc

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 21-Feb-17 18:21:29

sally, you are unlikely to get much of the way in the winds.
The problem with forecasting it's that it's all about probability and that is hard to convey on to forecasts. No forecast is ever certain, but once you reach probabilities where there is a reasonable chance, they have to warn, even when there is a good chance it may not be as bad as possible.

Weather warnings are not about how exciting the weather may be, but are there to help ensure that both the public and emergency services are prepared.

The matrix on the warnings page gives a feel for this idea.

And it wasn't a hurricane in '87 wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now