Talk

Advanced search

Snow watch.

(694 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 06-Jan-17 15:25:39

Early early days and the models have been teasing us for a good couple of weeks now but we might be starting to get some model consistency. I've been holding off from saying anything in case we scare it away for good.

Massive caveat - amateur forecaster, often get it wrong yadda yadda. Please dont plan anything based on this thread.

GFS starts to show the european high pressure drift atlantic-wards next week, drawing in cold air. By next weekend we are showing a reasonable amount of potential with the upper air looking cold enough to support snow and less settled weather than at present.

Alas though, it only seems to last the weekend at present. But at the moment Friday is the day to keep your eye on.

dotdash Fri 06-Jan-17 15:41:32

I do hope we get some, love a bit of snow!

nannynick Fri 06-Jan-17 16:43:46

I am hearing parts of Texas have snow today. Can't imagine their weather will make it's way over the Atlantic to us but you never know.

Friday the 13th... anyone superstitious Could it be UK Snow Day?

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 06-Jan-17 16:53:33

It would struggle to get past the great big low pressure in the way nannynick grin but perhaps yes, hadnt connected the 13th part. Maybe lets hope not, not sure I could take the media. And oh no! that means its only two weeks to the 20th/

meditrina Fri 06-Jan-17 16:56:56

Snow has finally reached European ski resorts, after weeks of no/low precipitation.

Is this possible scenario actually that snow making its way over to GB?

JillJ72 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:30:23

OYBBK please push the model away til 16/01 so my husband can leave the country and return flowers

Lorelei76 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:32:47

Oh bloody hell
Is that a snow possibility for the South East and London do you think? I better get my olds stocked up.

megletthesecond Fri 06-Jan-17 18:32:48

Place marking.

Bluntness100 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:35:14

Ehrm, what country are you in and where in that country are you predicting snow,,,🙄

Bluntness100 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:36:15

Can't be london, all the official forecasts are for sun and five degrees.

Lorelei76 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:18:41

Xcweather is showing snow for fri 13th in my outer London postcode. Fuck bigger and bollocks. Accuweather and bbc don't say that but my experience is xcweather often best of those three.

<wanders off to swear more>

Lorelei76 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:19:23

Bugger autocorrected to bigger!!!

SquirmOfEels Fri 06-Jan-17 19:21:41

Tube strike followed by snow day?

Could be a fun week to be a Londoner!

Bluntness100 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:22:36

I use wunderground as I find it most reliable and it also says london at 5 degrees. Clear and sunny. Where out side london are you looking at?

BeyondTheStarryNight Fri 06-Jan-17 19:23:35

Woo! smile

Lorelei76 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:29:08

Bluntness I won't give a location but talking outer zone, still london though.
I do have permission to work at home on the tube strike day and a snow day will be the same but I fecking hate snow and worry so much about my folks, their road doesn't get gritted etc they are a way away from me so it stops me visiting and mum is still very poorly.

Thanks for the website rec, I'll ad it to the list and telling my god fearing folks to pray for no snow. Xcweather also says 12 for Wednesday, be nice not to have to wear the most warm coat. Last winter was very good, I barely used that one.

Bluntness100 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:31:46

I hate snow too, with a vengeance, possibly why I'm arguing this, 😂

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 06-Jan-17 19:33:25

yes, I think the se is possible.
Bluntness, the met office show their most likely prediction, behind that are lower probabilities for other scenarios. GFS (a computer model) is going for a different scenario at present. It will probably come into line with the met office, but sometimes it is right.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 06-Jan-17 19:34:52

meditrina, europe becoming colder certainly helps, but we are looking at a polar maritime feed I think.

LapinR0se Fri 06-Jan-17 19:37:44

OYBBK I have a cheeky but potentially interesting question grin

How are the models looking for Geneva Switzerland? Up until now it's been fucking freezing but bone dry. I would like some pay off for the frostbite in the form of a snowman fsmile

Blerg Fri 06-Jan-17 19:38:09

Cautiously pleased. My daughter (3) has never seen snow. Will be following this - thanks OP!

Bluntness100 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:40:47

Oh god, I'm in the south east and I hate driving in the snow....😞😞😞

AlwaysYes Fri 06-Jan-17 19:45:02

North Yorkshire, we had snow yesterday, melted by lunch time though. Would be nice to make a snowman!

Lorelei76 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:45:09

Wunderground does have a possibility of snow listed for my area over Friday and Saturday. It is good to have early warning though, if it doesn't happen, mega bonus!

Snow haters of the world unite and take over....

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 06-Jan-17 19:48:46

Lapin, I think you have quite a good chance from Tuesday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now