Talk

Advanced search

White Christmas?

(11 Posts)
Sallycinnamum Thu 20-Oct-16 14:11:20

It's heading to that time of year again when the 's' word gets mentioned more and more.

The weather enthusiasts on the Netweather forum are getting very excited about a possible white December so font of all weather knowledge ohyoubadbadkitten, what's the likelihood of a white Christmas?

Crystal15 Thu 20-Oct-16 14:16:39

Oh I do hope so! It's freezing right now, so looking likely!

Sallycinnamum Thu 20-Oct-16 14:31:39

It's so cold at the moment and I'm in the usually balmy sourh east!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 20-Oct-16 18:37:25

I'm afraid its a while yet before I start my Christmas count down - sorry! I don't have access to any sensible sort of modelling that goes out that far. There are rumblings on the boards of a 2009/2010 winter, but that's just speculation.
It has been an extraordinarily settled October!

BiddyPop Mon 24-Oct-16 10:26:50

DH has been getting very worried that there was a really good blackberry crop this year, but more so that the birds are emptying the feeder on a weekly basis at the moment, which is more than double the normal rate for this time of year. So he fears a winter like 2009/10 again.

We'll see what happens - I kept my single ring camping stove at home rather than sending it to the storage unit with the rest of my camping gear - just in case. And we'll move our ski gear home from there sometime in November, just in case.

But at the moment, we are just enjoying the fact that it's mostly dry, a bit blustery, and finally a hint of proper autumn chill in the air!

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Mon 24-Oct-16 10:28:08

We have seen lots of snow buntings in Cornwall. Can't remember seeing so many.

This easterly airflow seems a bit stuck.

Sallycinnamum Wed 26-Oct-16 11:34:47

The papers were saying this morning it's going to get really cold in the next week but when I looked at the forecast it showed nothing of the sort!

Lots of fog here in the SE the last week, which is a sign of cold weather to come according to my MIL.

GloriaSmud Thu 27-Oct-16 11:26:00

Sallycinnamum ~ the Express comes out with something like this every year. It's always a load of bollocks completely wrong but they think if they trot out the same thing year after year, there might just be one winter when they get it right!
grin

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Thu 27-Oct-16 11:38:49

Full of words like shock, warn, sweep, batter, rage, endure...

Their journos definitely studied Use of Strong Verbs in Key Stage 2 Literacy.

themindbogglesallthetime Thu 27-Oct-16 11:41:51

I hope so & I hope it's bad enough the in- laws can't get here grin can't be doing with all the family this year!

ClashCityRocker Thu 27-Oct-16 11:46:19

If you're taking orders, OYBK, I would like nice big fat snow to start at around 11am on Christmas Eve, remain pristine and picturesque (rather than the coffee coloured sludge) until Boxing Day night, when it can go away.

This Autumn seems to have been colder than last so far - I didn't get my big coat out until January last year. Did we have an unseasonably warm December? Seem to remember some threads complaining about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now