Noticeably foggy/misty this morning

(6 Posts)
JulieJuniper Mon 18-Jul-16 21:35:43

I woke around 0530 this morning, feeling that something wasn’t quite right. I looked out the window and it was noticeably foggy/misty. Presumably it was the lack of traffic noise that alerted me.

Looking at my nearest online weather station, it appears that humidity levels were above 90% from midnight until around 0800 when it started to drop quite sharply, while temperatures overnight decreased from mid 60s to high 50s then started rising quite rapidly from about 0800.

I’m quite confused about that, because I thought there would a correlation between humidity and temperature, unless, of course, there’s a latency in the system?

Any weather experts who could explain this, please – preferably in simple terms?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 19-Jul-16 08:20:13

Im not sure as to why the humidity dropped through the night, unless a breeze picked up, bringing in cooler, less humid air for a time. Can you give your approx location please?

JulieJuniper Tue 19-Jul-16 11:10:43

Sorry, probably didn’t write clearly enough. The humidity didn’t drop at all during the night. That seems a bit puzzling to me, because I thought that humidity would be lower at night?

I’m in the south, but not near the coast.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 19-Jul-16 14:17:18

oh ok smile no, as the temperature drops at night the humidity increases as it is measured as a percentage of how much water the air can hold. So for the same amount of water vapour in the air, the percentage goes up as the temperature decreases. That is why fog tends to occur at night, as the temperature drops the air becomes saturated with water vapour and begins to condense.

JulieJuniper Tue 19-Jul-16 17:07:18

I understand now. Thanks.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 19-Jul-16 22:30:28

you're very welcome smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now