Talk

Advanced search

Storm Frank - Impact Thread

(20 Posts)
Cindy34 Tue 29-Dec-15 17:22:49

Storm Frank is rapidly approaching. Have seen some news from Ireland, pictures of waves, car blown into river.

Those in Cumbria and other areas affected by recent flooding must be anxious about the next 36 hours as Frank gets near to the west coast. Hope everyone stays safe and dry.

GloriaSmud Tue 29-Dec-15 18:27:56

Metoffice warnings here.

Think this is the storm showing up fairly well off the coast of Scotland here.

Wetoopere Tue 29-Dec-15 18:47:19

Am in Cumbria. Safe but supposed to be travelling tomorrow & don't want to risk it

GloriaSmud Tue 29-Dec-15 19:03:56

Probably a wise decision, Wetoopere.
The Guardian has a live blog here for all the latest storm information.
Have found with past storms that it's a bit more up-to-the-minute than the one the BBC does.

Cindy34 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:32:01

Thanks for the Guardian link, that seems to be a good live blog.

kippersmum Tue 29-Dec-15 23:23:01

The IOM is due to get badly hit by Frank. Red Weather warning from the local govt met office (very rarely used) for very heavy rain & Force 10 winds.

Thanks for the Guardian link Gloria, I'll look now. Trouble is we never get mentioned, not even on the national forecasts sad We look for Cumbria, S Scotland & N Ireland forecasts & then guess!

Wetoopere Tue 29-Dec-15 23:58:42

Good luck kippersmum

candykane25 Wed 30-Dec-15 00:02:58

In Lancashire and it is howling here. Can't sleep and the racket outside is quite alarming.
The flood 1 mile away has only just settled so wondering what we will wake up to.

kippersmum Wed 30-Dec-15 00:26:51

Good Luck to you too Wetoopere. It was getting really wild 20 mins ago but we have a lull for now.

Wetoopere Wed 30-Dec-15 00:30:43

We've probably got your wild patch.

I'm pretty protected, on a hill, not rivers near the house , can see the sea but not near it. Only risk here is drains failing or wind blowing bits off. Lost a greenhouse last year and part of one a couple of weeks ago.

GloriaSmud Wed 30-Dec-15 07:53:58

The Guardian have now got a new live blog just for Storm Frank. According to the metoffice, the worst of it should be over by mid-afternoon.

Hope everyone in the warning areas keeps safe.

SewingAndCakes Wed 30-Dec-15 10:02:38

The wind has been howling in Rossendale since last night. No damage yet that I can see. I've been expecting rain more than wind but we're yet to see any. The flooding on Saturday caused a lot of problems around here so I'm hoping we don't see too much rain again.

GloriaSmud Wed 30-Dec-15 12:47:09

Really gusty here (Leicester) The recycling wheelie bin has been over several times and is now wedged behind our gate ~ props each other up if the catch goes on the gate, with the wind blowing against it.
The cover on the patio table/chairs keeps coming off as well desipte my best efforts to weigh it down.

GloriaSmud Wed 30-Dec-15 12:53:09

Useful page showing the current flood warnings here.

notsomanky Wed 30-Dec-15 16:13:47

Just seen something on line suggesting they are looking at the next system coming in and seeing whether it will also be a storm - Gertrude next up. shock

nannynick Wed 30-Dec-15 16:16:30

Stuck in Ballater. We are lucky though as we still have power and water not reached us yet.

Wetoopere Wed 30-Dec-15 16:21:57

Just seen your pics on Twitter (not stalking just remembered the name) looks horrendous.

Cindy34 Wed 30-Dec-15 16:54:17

Oh that does not look good nannynick. Hope you stay safe and dry.

Perihelion Wed 30-Dec-15 23:18:40

Spey, Dee, Tayside and Callender areas are still likely to rise, possibly peaking tomorrow. Thinking of you nannynick
Very strange seeing all the chaos across Scotland from Edinburgh. We just had a wee bit of wind and 9mm of rain.

GloriaSmud Thu 31-Dec-15 06:59:48

Hopefully a quieter few days coming up.
Report here on the after-effects of StormFrank in Iceland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now