Talk

Advanced search

New weather warnings - Barney

(65 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 16-Nov-15 14:04:35

met office

not sure I like the new naming scheme but hey ho. As I've intimated in a couple of posts over the past few days there has been potential for quite a nasty wind event tomorrow night. could bring a large swathe of winds 60mph inland, 70 mph along the south coast. As it is the first storm of the season down in England and Wales, its worth being prepared. Tether those trampolines!

seasidesally Mon 16-Nov-15 14:41:46

watching with interest

megletthesecond Mon 16-Nov-15 14:48:50

We've not got much to tether down luckily but I will pop over and put the chairs in the allotment shed. Don't want them ending up 100m across the site.

leesmum Mon 16-Nov-15 19:54:23

Thanks for the heads-up Kitten smile

seasidesally Mon 16-Nov-15 20:17:47

is Barney still on track for tomorrow evening kitten ?

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 16-Nov-15 21:34:46

it is Worst winds through north Wales and eastwards and perhaps along the channel. Gusting maybe to 70mph in those areas. In between, perhaps gusts of 60mph. Its nothing drastic, but enough to bring down the odd tree or two.

seasidesally Mon 16-Nov-15 22:15:46

thanks

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 17-Nov-15 07:22:40

strong winds to start to hit the western coast of Wales through this morning, moving into the west Midlands.

This evening gusts of around 60mph, higher in exposed areas on the west coast. These strong winds will move across the Midlands and sweep across the south through the evening too. Perhaps some severe gales through the eastern half of channel this evening. Generally there is a widespread risk of gales late this afternoon into tonight for much of England and Wales.

SideOrderofChips Tue 17-Nov-15 09:17:35

We're on weather warning here for gales. Force 8

BlackeyedSusan Tue 17-Nov-15 11:10:36

wind has piocked up to a breeze here at the moment. it was quite calm this morning. not looking forward to rampaging excitable children on a windy day.

Zetetic Tue 17-Nov-15 11:15:26

Oooh Just found the weather topic. Weather not too bad here at the moment.

We were discussing this kind of weather event and being prepared in the Preppers topic. smile

Anastasie Tue 17-Nov-15 11:26:05

Thank you, it was rough last week here (South coast) but this sounds worse.

I will go and sort out the trampoline.

yolofish Tue 17-Nov-15 12:20:40

completely irrelevant I know, but my DB is called Barney...! we are on south coast and have a yellow weather warning - quite calm here at the mo though.

Cindy34 Tue 17-Nov-15 12:49:18

I love the name Barney for a boy, not sure about a weather system.

Pouring with rain and I have loads of washing that needs doing and it is not drying very fast indoors.

kelper Tue 17-Nov-15 12:52:32

Wind is getting up a bit here but it's so mild!
Ds has refused to go riding this evening in case the horses go silly. Im sad about this!
If it's not blowing a hooley I shall be disappointed not wishing to sound flippant but I really really love riding!

Cindy34 Tue 17-Nov-15 12:52:39

Do you have a favourite weather app? I like WunderMap. Carnarvon Airport just had a gust of 61mph.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 17-Nov-15 12:53:45

I think the worst winds will be in a belt across Wales, through the midlands into East Anglia. Channel coastal regions too. A fair bit of disruption at Heathrow already.

The worst of the winds will happen once the rain clears through. That always makes me slightly anxious for peoples safety as people tend to think the worst is over when the rain stops.

Its not a severe storm, but once you get to gusts of 60mph it is something to respect as vulnerable trees will come down at that force.

Cindy34 Tue 17-Nov-15 12:59:07

What is the difference between Wind Speed and Gust when it comes to weather stations?

I guess the gust is the highest speed of the wind at a given moment in time. Wind speed is averaged out over a period of time. Would that be right?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 17-Nov-15 12:59:18

apps wise I use weatherProHD. I have a fair bit of respect for the company behind it (and they are the one of the ones who have ursuped the met office for the bbc weather contract)

Charts I use wetterzentrale, but there are others you can use.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 17-Nov-15 13:10:08

wind speed is averaged out over a time period such as an hour or 10 minutes (I can't remember which one the met office uses on their site. oops)

Gusts are the peak wind speeds measured over a much shorter sustained period - 3 seconds I think. A very very rough estimate is they tend to be about 60% stronger than the mean wind speed.

GloriaSmud Tue 17-Nov-15 13:22:05

Storm Barney is showing up fairly well here.
Strong winds due to arrive here (Leicester) about 3pm this afternoon. Think everything's tied/weighted down in readiness.

Witchend Tue 17-Nov-15 13:56:00

Just battened down the hatches here. Not too gusty yet, but nearly killed myself getting the trampoline jammed between the house and the (very heavy) picnic table.

Ds is meant to be out for a hike tonight with cubs ending in a bonfire. Don't think that's happening.

Am expecting to lose some more roof/wall tiles tonight though. We were meant to have them cemented down better this summer but first bluetits were found nesting (can't disturb nesting birds) and then honeybees, under the roof.

Going to jam the bins down now before they go flying.

Zetetic Tue 17-Nov-15 13:58:29

My ds is supposed to go to a Christmas lights switch on which doesn't seem like a very good idea. I anticipate Storm Mini Zetetic tonight.

rosieposey Tue 17-Nov-15 14:05:57

We have just moved from Devon to Leicestershire (3 miles from Rutland border ) and are under a weather warning. Met Office is saying that we can expect gusts of up to 60mph and we are really quite high up so i am expecting it to get fairly blowy later.

I love a bit of weather - have been keeping a close eye on Netweather threads and between this storm tonight and the expected cold snap at the weekend things are starting to get interesting at long last. It has been so mild! Trampoline not built yet but have put all the outdoor chairs away now till the spring.

Shakey15000 Tue 17-Nov-15 14:50:59

<finds thread>

Barney is well and truly here in North Wales. School run (walk) is now....10 minutes eek shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now