Talk

Advanced search

The low down on the hot weather.

(142 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 28-Jun-15 08:04:07

So summer seems to be upon us smile A little rain for some today to get through.

Tuesday sees the first real heat, with temps in the mid 20s for many in England and Wales away from the coast. I think some coastal areas could be disappointing because of relatively cool sea temps. A very warm night. Scotland ranges from high teens to low 20s.

Wednesday - highs in the high 20's low 30s for much of England and Wales (away from some coasts), Mid 20s for central and much of western Scotland. Another very warm night.
An interesting feature is the strong winds, gusting to around 30mph. With fairly lowish humdity, its going to feel quite Morrocan I think!

Thursday is a little cooler, with some heavy showers and perhaps thunderstorms.

Friday and Saturday heat up again, but the real heat doesnt at the moment look to extend quite so far north. Its quite a way ahead though and its not a nice stable high, which is easy to predict but instead a plume of hot air, with some lows to our west, which makes for quite an unstable weather system. (hence the rapid change in fortunes we've had this week) so I'm not going to hazard even a vague forecast beyond then!

Catmint Sun 28-Jun-15 08:08:42

Thank you, that's good to know. I will make sure I take water to the school fete!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 28-Jun-15 08:37:29

Good plan! We stocked up on emergency ice lollies yesterday!

MorrisZapp Sun 28-Jun-15 08:59:55

I'm finding the BBC forecasting to be inconsistent. The guy on telly last night was bigging up the heatwave, saying we would reach 27 degrees in Scotland.

But the BBC weather app shows Edinburgh reaching a midweek high of 22, with rain an ever present threat all week.

So a total non event then smile

DeathMetalMum Sun 28-Jun-15 09:15:32

My weather app has lots of rain predicted for us on Wednesday and Thursday in the North West angry I'm hoping like recent weeks it suddenly disapears come the day itself, any chance of that happening oybbk?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 28-Jun-15 09:51:45

Morris, I think you could see temps up to around 25C but you are right, heavy showers could be an issue, because the plume doesnt quite reach you really.

Deathmetal (love your name!) again, heavy showers could be an issue and I do think if they get going, they really could be heavy - the very hot air bumping up against the low pressure to your west could drive some decent convection.

43cupsoftea Sun 28-Jun-15 09:55:22

Thanks for low down kitten. DS was born in July 2006 during a July heatwave, it seems every three years we get a blast of hot weather July/early August, so was expecting something this year! Not very scientific! Hoping for good weather next Sunday for birthday BBQ.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 28-Jun-15 13:17:08

I'm hectic once again this week, but I will do my best to give updates when I can smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-15 08:55:23

I think Wednesday could be quite unpleasant for some as the latest gfs is keen to bring in a little low into the SW. Some heavy rain showers also look quite likely across the NE and perhaps spreading across much of the UK away from the south.

Still looks warm-very hot across the Uk, apart from the NE of Scotland, but I do wonder how much that low is going to peg back temperatures and I'll be interested to see if any big storms build.

Thursday could see some showers too.

Friday evening could see some heavy showers in the south.

All in all, quite a messy mix of weather as you would expect for these synoptics.

GloriaSmud Mon 29-Jun-15 09:43:05

Metoffice have issued a Level 2 probability of heatwave conditions between 12.00 Tuesday~6pm Thursday.
Think this week could be 'interesting' when it comes to rain/thunderstoms.

CurbsideProphet Mon 29-Jun-15 11:04:50

It feels really humid in my part of the NW. I feel like the only person who does not want a heatwave!

I'm off to Northumberland at the weekend. I suppose it's too changeable to forecast next week?

SideOrderofChips Mon 29-Jun-15 19:50:46

Its going to be hell here in Jersey

NickAngel Mon 29-Jun-15 19:56:47

Thanks OYBBK, I always turn to you when we get extreme weather forecast. I really want cool on Saturday. Big event planned which will be hard going if its scorchio.
Will storms come as localised small events in south or will they be whoppers do you think?

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-15 22:15:51

Thanks Gloria smile

Nick, my utter guess is slow moving, potentially highly electrified storms. But I could be giantly wrong!

GloriaSmud Tue 30-Jun-15 06:41:32

OYBBK ~ smile

It was a pleasant 25C yesterday with a nice breeze and a better-for-sleep 12C overnight. It's forecast to be 27C today so DD1 (who has now finished her GCSE's so I might as well get her working!) and I are going to do an epic watering session at the allotment this morning.

GloriaSmud Tue 30-Jun-15 11:01:20

29C here (Leicester) and I do declare that it's 'really quite warm'.
There's a weather warning for rain/thundery showers for some areas tomorrow afternoon.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 30-Jun-15 13:19:54

where did my reply go?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 30-Jun-15 13:20:28

It basically said that the Met office warnings are well justified and its hot here too smile

coffeeisnectar Tue 30-Jun-15 13:24:33

I'm in Dorset and its scorching hot smile 10 day forecast for us predict showers on Thursday and running into next week it's predicting lots of hot weather. Yay!!

stargirl1701 Tue 30-Jun-15 13:25:32

Cold and cloudy in Perth again today. Rain forecast tomorrow. Pretty crap.

TwinTum Tue 30-Jun-15 13:31:54

I love the sun. I am depressed at work looking out at the blue sky. I am not on holiday until mid August. sob.

TinyManticore Tue 30-Jun-15 13:43:21

It's a good job we have OYBBK to write helpful threads about the weather because if I tried, it would just consist of:

It's chuffing boiling here in Shropshire.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 30-Jun-15 14:26:18

lol!

We just hit 30C here smile

So tomorrows thunderstorm risk seems to be concentrated in the north Midlands to south Scotland. That doesn't mean you should expect one, they are likely to be fairly isolated if they form. However, the potential is there, not only for them to be very electified, but also large damaging hail and flash flooding. The lifted index (how unstable the atmosphere is) looks to be pretty impressive!

There is also some risk in the SE too, especially early evening, towards Kent.

GloriaSmud Tue 30-Jun-15 14:48:23

Perhaps your earlier post disappeared off to find somewhere in the shade, OYBBK!
My weather station says it's 33C but think it's overdoing it a bit as other stations in the area say it's more like 30C. 'Chuffing boiling' is about right though.
<joins frogs in the pond to cool down>

NickAngel Tue 30-Jun-15 14:50:37

30 here. s going to be a hot a d sweaty school run...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now