Talk

Advanced search

Bank holiday weather

(20 Posts)
missy111 Wed 22-Apr-15 17:46:03

Has anyone seen a bank holiday forecast yet? Want to go camping...but not if its torrential rain!!

GloriaSmud Thu 23-Apr-15 11:15:42

Is this the 1st-4th May Bank Holiday? (the charts only go up to Sat 9th at the moment so bit early for the late May holiday.)

I've had a (very amateur) look and at the moment, I think it's a bit of a mixed bag (typical UK Bank Holiday then!) Looks quite wet early~'til mid-afternoon Saturday but after that it's sunshine and showers. Looks warm for the south (16-20C) but a bit chilly for the North/Scotland (9-13C). It's still a bit early to be certain of all this so could/will probably change

And as always, hope I've got some of the above right!

missy111 Thu 23-Apr-15 21:30:05

Thank you...yes it's the early bank holiday...as we are in Lancashire think I'll leave booking something until the last minute!!

missy111 Thu 23-Apr-15 21:36:23

Thank you...yes it's the early bank holiday...as we are in Lancashire think I'll leave booking something until the last minute!!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 23-Apr-15 22:15:12

my main worry is that gfs progs in a deep low pressure at the moment for the weekend. Could be very windy indeed if iit developed and the track changed a little. Don't book anything that requires a deposit!

hillbilly Wed 29-Apr-15 10:30:00

Any update OYBBK? We are supposed to be camping in Bucks but not looking hopeful at the moment!

ClarissaTheTeenageWitch Thu 30-Apr-15 07:48:39

I need to make a decision today about whether we go camping in Norfolk tomorrow. Looks a v.mixed bag.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 30-Apr-15 08:48:53

Saturday looks quite rubbish, with rain spreading from the south to reach all areas of the UK by the end of the day. Some pretty strong gusts as well, reaching perhaps 30-40mph in many areas. Peg your tents down well!

Sunday, remaining very windy in the south with gusts again to 40mph. Heavy blustery showers with thunderstorms for some central areas, especially into the afternoon and evening. Temps a little warmer in central and eastern areas.

Monday - calmer and much less in the way of showers.

hillbilly Thu 30-Apr-15 11:28:07

Is the south looking better for Sun and Mon then?

GloriaSmud Thu 30-Apr-15 21:08:06

hillbilly ~ (hope I've got some of this right!) but I think for the area you're looking to for camping ~ Sunday starts wet, moves towards sunshine and showers in the afternoon and then it's an improving picture towards the evening. Monday looks much better, not especially warm though ~ 14-16C.

hillbilly Fri 01-May-15 08:22:03

Thanks Gloria!

FelixFelix Fri 01-May-15 11:40:12

I've looked at the met office forecast for Sunday as we are watching the Tour de Yorkshire but it's rain most of the day and thunderstorms at 4pm shock

Any chance this will change?

GloriaSmud Fri 01-May-15 12:36:40

I don't think there's much chance of it changing, FelixFelix. I think the heavy rain will mostly be in the morning but it should turn more sunny spells/heavy showers (perhaps with a chance of thunder) in the afternoon/evening. Looks like all the rain will clear away late evening (typical!)

FelixFelix Fri 01-May-15 12:53:46

Oh dear! We will have 16mo dd with us and will need to get there early so might just have to cancel. Damn you Yorkshire weather! Thanks for replying smile

GloriaSmud Sun 03-May-15 12:38:37

Think a lot of the rain has cleared the south now. It's been a wet miserable morning here (Leicester) but it's getting rather warm and humid now so possibility of thundery showers this afternoon. Quite good realtime lightning map here, in case of lightning strikes later.

FelixFelix Sun 03-May-15 13:04:46

Rain stopped and it's brightened up now! I'm very pleased grin

GloriaSmud Sun 03-May-15 13:22:10

Have you managed to see any of the cycling, Felix?
According to raintoday, there are not a lot of showers over Yorkshire way (may develop during the afternoon though) at the moment but a developing splodge (probably not a proper meteorological term!) of possibly thundery stuff coming my way.

digerd Mon 04-May-15 07:04:21

I have never known such yo- yo weather throughout the winter and even now.

Yesterday at 1.30pm it was suddenly summer - warm, sunny and rather sultry/humid after an unpleasant, cool, wet morning.

Last night's minimum temp was 12.5.
I's been really tiresome getting the dog walking attire right which I haven't managed to do so far.

GloriaSmud Mon 04-May-15 09:10:28

It was almost uncomfortably humid at times yesterday after the rain cleared and the sun came out, digerd. We got the rain back again late last night, when we had another thundery load of it. Still, it's a lovely day here today~ I might cut the grass later on (once the grass has dried out!)

FelixFelix Mon 04-May-15 10:17:41

Gloria it was fabulous. We walked right to the top of the hardest climb and the sun shone the whole time we were there. It was so warm! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now