Talk

Advanced search

Badkitten's 'Will it snow at Christmas?' thread.

(404 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 03-Dec-14 12:48:47

Well, the moment has come <drum roll please>

The 19th December - when many kids break from school has appeared in the GFS charts.....

I'm going to do my best to update this at least once each day, but bear with me if life interferes a bit. My usual disclaimer: I'm only an amateur and I get things wrong. I dont say this out of false modesty but because its true and for important forecasts and for making decisions please refer to the met office.

Also at this range the forecast will be complete crap anyway and will change daily. As we get closer to the Christmas holidays other models will come into range and things will start to become more accurate - hopefully!

So:

Friday 19th (GFS) - The day starts off cold with temps around freezing. Some precipitation but it looks to err on the wrong side of frozen (ie not). Europe isnt looking cold for this time of year and so we are looking to our north and north west for the cold at this point.
That's as far as the model goes fgrin but later in the day I would expect it to end up in single fig temps. Might update this on the next model run.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 03-Dec-14 12:49:47

Hurrah! It's ChristmasKitten!!

I love your weather threads, OYBBK.

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 03-Dec-14 12:52:33

Thank you OYBBK flowers

firstposts Wed 03-Dec-14 12:53:37

Utterly shameless place mark. Desperate for a decent wodge of snow this year smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 03-Dec-14 12:54:05

fgrin Its very exciting! More promise than last years unending 'help we are drowning' thread that we had to have going on.

SagaNorensSnowflakeTrousers Wed 03-Dec-14 12:54:51

Sounds promising! Thanks, OYBBK. Christmas thanks.

ouryve Wed 03-Dec-14 12:58:19

DS1's already off, on that day so it looks like a good mad enough to try shopping day.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Wed 03-Dec-14 13:06:21

Here in this bit of Canada we've had snow for a couple of weeks. Temperatures went negative in early November. It's currently 6:00am and -26 outside. Ski resorts in Alberta and BC are opening

meglet Wed 03-Dec-14 13:39:45

It feels proper cold today (Hampshire), like we're tilting towards some winter. I can feel it in my bones.

A dumping of snow would be great actually. The dc's would be out the front all day and I could tidy up.

midgeymum2 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:09:47

Thank you OYBBK! Lovely crisp properly cold day here (Angus) with a really thick frost, kids still able to go puddle smashing after school! Would be lovely if it was like this at Christmas <dares to hope for dusting of snow too>

AlmaMartyr Wed 03-Dec-14 17:13:01

Oh, I so want snow this year. Not very common in the SW but we are near Dartmoor so I'm hopeful smile Kids are loving the frost so far and 4yo DS is desperate for snow.

holmessweetholmes Wed 03-Dec-14 17:21:26

I've never been on a weather thread, but I looove snow! And we've just moved up to Cumbria so I'm hopeful...

18yearstooold Wed 03-Dec-14 17:25:50

Im praying for loads of snow on Christmas Day then for it to disappear by Boxing Day morning as i'm driving from Leeds to Manchester

leesmum Wed 03-Dec-14 17:29:19

Thanks Kitten...looking forward to your updates fsmile

somewheresomehow Wed 03-Dec-14 17:36:22

Hi Kitten .. looking forward to your forecasting of much snow tbgrin

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 03-Dec-14 17:51:34

<fingers crossed and marks place>

flowers for Kitten.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 03-Dec-14 17:51:50

Any chance we can hold off on the snow until the 21st? After last Christmas I'd like disruption free travel plans this year.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 03-Dec-14 18:19:36

Holmes, you may see a little on Friday smile

keepmoving Wed 03-Dec-14 18:32:50

Marking place. Thank you OYBBK thanks

ChippingInAutumnLover Wed 03-Dec-14 22:59:31

Might need to get those winter tyres sorted out then!!

PinkSquash Wed 03-Dec-14 23:02:38

Marking place. Thanks OYBBKflowers

Drania Wed 03-Dec-14 23:03:15

If it could snow around the 22nd/23rd so that I don't have to wake up before seven I can work from home for two days, it'd be much appreciated. grin

Crumbelina Wed 03-Dec-14 23:06:09

Ahh, I just love your weather threads. smile
I've just bought a house and move in next Tues. A complete wreck and unlikely to have heating/hot water. My prediction is below zero temperatures and snow from that day forwards ...

StetsonsAreCool Wed 03-Dec-14 23:24:51

Watching with great interest... DC2 is due on the 18th. Don't know which I want more: to bundle a snugly newborn up in the snow, or have a clear drive to /from hospital.

DontPushTheButton Wed 03-Dec-14 23:51:48

Thank OYBBK. Love your weather threads. Snow for herts please!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now