Talk

Advanced search

So, what are the chances of us getting the snow from the U.S.?

(13 Posts)
marne2 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:42:29

Just seen a post on fb suggesting the snow they are are having in the US will hit us next week. How true is this? Last year the U.S. Had heavy snow ( not quite as bad as they are having now ) and it ended up hitting us as rain thanks to the jet stream. So will the snow they are getting now effect us? And if so will it fall as rain or snow? ( either could be a nightmare ).

mummylin2495 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:46:52

This is what I as wondering Marne too. I think very often we get the tailend of USA weather. But for me I love snow !!

meglet Thu 20-Nov-14 13:50:40

Wasn't it the same last year? And it hit us as rain sad.

juneau Thu 20-Nov-14 13:57:52

We have a different climate to the US. They have a continental climate (due to be being a huge landmass), and we have a maritime climate, which is due to our little island being surrounded by sea. We are also warmed by the Gulf Stream. So will we be deluged with snow? Unlikely. We may well get that weather system (as the prevailing winds blow from west to east), but its more likely to fall as rain, because of our milder climate.

ExitPursuedByABear Thu 20-Nov-14 14:01:58

Heard it will warm up and fall as rain.

Goody.

marne2 Thu 20-Nov-14 14:23:13

It's quite worrying if it hits us as rain though, going on what happened last year and the amount of snow the US are getting surely this could mean us getting a lot of rain? We could be in for more rain than last year?

ihatethecold Thu 20-Nov-14 14:40:57

That not even funny in the slightest sad

CoolStoryBro Thu 20-Nov-14 14:44:49

The worst of the snow is very geographically specific. We're not affected we're in the same state so Id say it's probably very unlikely you're going to get it in the UK!

Babiecakes11 Thu 20-Nov-14 15:06:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Thu 20-Nov-14 15:16:24

Neither rain nor snow would be good. Too much snow will melt and then there is potential for flooding. Too much rain will just go straight to flooding. Hope that if there is any risk that we (as a country) are prepared and damage is minimal. It can be quite scarey.

Eve Thu 20-Nov-14 15:24:06

isn't the worst of their snow around Buffalo a lake effect snowstorm which is very localised.

juneau Thu 20-Nov-14 16:38:24

The forecast earlier didn't show anything torrential - just more of the same sort of thing we've been having recently.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 20-Nov-14 18:30:59

zero smile if you have a look at the way the jet stream is kinked you'll see why. Also a large amount of the snow is due to the lake effect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now