Talk

Advanced search

Does the suns uv output explain the colder winters we have had recently

(5 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 10-Oct-11 07:20:16

Interesting article on the bbc today Does the suns uv output explain the colder winters we have had recently

I need to read it in depth later but at first glance it is quite interesting really and there has been some speculation that it has been very notable how the very quiet sun of late (which could have been expected to have become more active again faster after the solar minimum) does seem at first glance to correlate with our very cold winter and that this seems to tie in with other other similar observations.

Perhaps more discussion later smile

GloriaSmud Mon 10-Oct-11 14:22:31

It'll be interesting if/when the sun's activity does pick up, how quickly it affects us and if we go back to having the warm/wet/grey (and I personally think, quite miserable!) winters.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 10-Oct-11 15:36:30

It would be quite disappointing wouldnt it grin I know bad winters are bad for many people; dangerous, inconvenient etc, but they have been rather fun too!

akaemmafrost Mon 10-Oct-11 15:52:57

I love the snowy, cold winters we have been having, certainly more fun than the drizzly, grey ones we usually get.

Any ideas what we can expect this year? I feel quite excited when I see the hysterical "coldest, winter EVER" headlines screaming out from the tabloids.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 10-Oct-11 16:51:05

Impossible to say at the moment. La Nina looks to be back and that can be one factor in a pattern giving us cold snowy weather but the pieces arent falling into place yet and until they do I refuse to commit myself grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now