Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WHY is it so hot today?

(11 Posts)
said Sat 01-Oct-11 17:41:18

Have just asked this elsewhere - there must have been other cloudless Sept and Oct days so what is making this one so hot? What's the science behind it?

GloriaSmud Sat 01-Oct-11 19:51:34

I think it's because hot air is coming from North Africa/the South of France area and drifting up to us. Plus I think we've got high pressure over us at the moment, so all this warmth just sits over us and doesn't go anywhere. The weather we associate with Autumn (wind, rain, cooler temperatures) usually comes from the west/Atlantic, but this is being blocked by the high pressure over us.

I hope I've got some of the above right but I'm sure OYBBK will correct what I've got wrong!

Wallace Sat 01-Oct-11 19:52:46

cold and rainy sad

Allboxedin Sat 01-Oct-11 19:54:26

I am positively hating it. I am 37 weeks pregnant and can't stand it. .........angry I was all geared up for a nice last few weeks of it being cooler.

MindtheGappp Sat 01-Oct-11 19:54:55

Southerly winds

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 01-Oct-11 20:21:21

Good explanation Gloria smile tis warm air from the south sitting over us. will be gone in a couple of days or so (looks like Monday/Tuesday now)

said Sat 01-Oct-11 20:24:38

Ah thank you. Must admit, it's lovely - the summer we never had

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 01-Oct-11 20:28:17

Purely to annoy me, that's why. I'm fat, so always hotter than everyone else. And quite pg now so even hotter again. I hate it so much I could cry.

Wallace Sat 01-Oct-11 20:32:22

Come north. It just got up to 12 degrees today hmm

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 01-Oct-11 20:33:17

I'm loving it and wish it could stay longer - what do we need to do to encourage it to stay?! Do the French take bribes?!

It's hot, but doesn't seem oppressive.

Just right for me smile

bilblio Sat 01-Oct-11 20:39:43

Hate it, the soon it goes the better. I'm 36+6 pregnant, struggling to breathe and sleep anyway and cursing this heat.
Glad everyone else is enjoying it, but I'll be glad when I can snuggle under a blanket again.
At least I'm not in work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now