Talk

Advanced search

weather station owners

(11 Posts)
noyouhavehadawee Wed 14-Sep-11 14:23:15

Got dh a professional weather station gizmo a month or so ago and its been performing ok we thought - day before yesterday when it was really windy the spinny thing was spinngin at some speed but it was only reading 10-11 mph and now its spinning quite fast blustery and its reading 6 - this isnt right is it? We took it back to maplins and its much the same? Are we doing something cock obviously wrong?

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 15-Sep-11 07:26:14

when you say professional weather station which one was it? Also where was the anemometer sited (height and location?)
Working this am but will check back on your answers this afternoon.

noyouhavehadawee Thu 15-Sep-11 08:04:50

it called a professional weather station im not saying it is lol! Whats the anemotor - the spinny round bit all the bit that looks like a microphone? its sited on top of a fence raised so its spinning a lot.

noyouhavehadawee Thu 15-Sep-11 08:05:42

its this one here

noyouhavehadawee Thu 15-Sep-11 08:06:59

The fence is in the back garden with propertys around it within 200 metres.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 15-Sep-11 13:53:28

One of your problems is that everything is combined in one unit and the wind measurement device (anemometer) needs to be mounted above your roof to give wind speeds that are anyway near representative, but the rain gauge needs to be at about 2m high. I suspect that that weather station also doesnt sample the wind speed very frequently - which can miss gusts.

My honest advice would be to forget about measuring the wind, unless you dont mind getting one that you can mount above the roof. If you are very keen to do so then this La crosseis probably the best sort in your budget range.

noyouhavehadawee Thu 15-Sep-11 16:55:41

the other day when it was windy it was spinnign so fast i couldnt see it iyswim.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 15-Sep-11 17:20:28

it does sound a bit odd - might be a faulty sensor, but they do go rund very fast for reasonably light winds.

You can always check what other local amateur stations are showing by zooming in on this map

noyouhavehadawee Thu 15-Sep-11 17:39:00

ooo thanks weather lady grin. Do yo uthink its oging to snow early again this year also as i am debating snow boots?

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 15-Sep-11 18:47:26

You are welcome smile

hmmmm, well i've been telling everyone that no-one knows yet, and I still think that's true. However, there are some signals (la nina seems to be reemerging) that indicate that we may have similar conditions to last year.

So... given that everyone will be jumpy and expecting another bad year after the last two I think things will sell out given any hints of snow and it might be as well to be prepared.

noyouhavehadawee Thu 15-Sep-11 19:15:36

ok so when dh says why you bought boots and snow boots i can blame you grin. Best get a snow shovel sorted also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now