Talk

Advanced search

The rain today in the south

(48 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 13:56:27

I have no idea why the met office didnt give out warnings for today with very heavy rain leading to localised flooding.

We have had 25.5mm (an inch) of rain since this morning.

I got soaked to the skin cycling. (I knew it was going to be heavy rain but didnt appreciate that it would be so very heavy, perhaps the met office got caught out as well)

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 13:59:02

bournemouth

the met office do a good job in general but they missed forecasting this entirely. over two inches in some places this morning.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 14:02:27

bbc news report

and still no warnings from the met office - though it would be bloody late now.

I have a friend in Bournemouth who has posted some shocking pics on fb of her local park under feet of water. And she's really pissed off that the airshow has been cancelled.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 14:09:48

bournemouth is really bad!

not too late for met office to issue warnings, Still a lot of rain to come, particualry in the basingstoke and north hampshire area.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 14:14:51

southampton is probably very very wet at the moment.

rushofbloodtothefeet Thu 18-Aug-11 14:16:20

OYBBK I can confirm that the big black cloud over NHampshire is showing no sign of lifting - in fact I've even had to turn the lights on as it is SO dark inside the house! My poor carrots and tomatoes are DROWNING!

(glad the wheat is off though as I posted on the other thread)

MIL is meant to be going to Bournemouth this weekend! We were there in April and it was glorious, Spring really is the new Summer hmm

Cattleprod Thu 18-Aug-11 14:18:06

We've had nothing in East Sussex.

Lollyheart Thu 18-Aug-11 14:21:43

I'm in basingstoke, it's chucking it down, roads flooded everywhere.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 18-Aug-11 14:23:06

SIL in Poole is complaining of being drowned on her way to Tesco.

Coffeeisking Thu 18-Aug-11 14:29:59

Im up near winchester, its been raining constantly all day, its now in full on downpour.

I hope there are no homes and other buildings ruined down in bournemouth. sad about the park, i use to love going down there when i lived there.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 14:33:47

I'm up to 27mm of rain now (wont give exact location but obviously in a high rainfall area) cattleprod, it is moving your way but invent shows the band weakening as it moves. i hope it does for you, because it is bad.

shock just in typing that, now up to 28.5mm. Poor, poor dd, shes working at the stables all day and theres not much shelter.

jetgirl Thu 18-Aug-11 14:37:27

The forecast on South Today last night suggested 2 inches in places. I'm in Southampton and just got drenched on a 5 min walk. Won't be gardening today then!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 14:46:35

so why werent warnings issued? (dont expect you to answer that) two inches of rain in a short time is likely to lead to signficant flooding.

warnings now issued for parts of the north for heavy rain.

jetgirl Thu 18-Aug-11 14:54:28

I'm glad you don't expect me to answer that! I remarked to DH that it seemed like a lot of rain. All they said on the forecast is 'the weekend will be much better, just forget about tomorrow'. Did not seem overly concerned despite the obvious consequences of heavy rain.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 15:00:41

I think they must just have fluffed up!

Weekend does look a lot better. funny though they've issued advance warnings for the heavy rain associated with thunderstorms for Sunday and Monday!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 15:05:43

seems to be easing here now - 30.5mm rain

mankyscotslass Thu 18-Aug-11 15:14:22

I hope people are ok. sad

It's been a really nice day here for a change, it seems like the south of England really is in a different country.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 15:23:06

watch out Kingston (and surrounding areas) you are in for a down pour this afternoon. Hopefully not the prolonged amounts that we've had here...

funny how it goes manky!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 15:32:03

<puts kettle on for any drowned visitors>

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 15:33:44

31.5mm now.

reports of car being washed away in ringwood note the slightly credulousness report of no warnings having been issued.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 15:39:09

telegraph report about bournemouth

ClaireDeLoon Thu 18-Aug-11 15:41:09

I just looked at the met office ap on my iphone and it has a yellow alert of rain for Sat night to Sun in East Midlands, East of England, London & SE and SW england. Yet nothing for today.

sad about weekend though we were going to London sightseeing with teenage niece.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 15:51:48

Claire, dont give up on weekend just yet, much of it will be ok I think, I'll update that thread later on.

another area of developing (heavy?) rain near bournemouth. oh dear.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 15:58:05

At bloody last some se warnings far too little to late.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now