Advanced search

Weekend weather warnings

(15 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 05-Aug-11 18:10:15

For NE England and SE Scotland: heavy and prolonged rain

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 06-Aug-11 09:36:13

warnings remain the same today.

LawrieMarlow Sat 06-Aug-11 09:38:02

Woke up to a thunderstorm in York. About to go to Northumberland on holiday <packs much wet weather stuff>

mankyscotslass Sat 06-Aug-11 10:44:51

Really loud thunderstorm at 9.40 this mornnig, rumbled on and off for another 30 minutes, with sheet lightning.

grin

mankyscotslass Sat 06-Aug-11 16:59:53

flooding

Flooding & lightning strikes. shock

GloriaSmud Sat 06-Aug-11 17:05:14

Amber warnings been issued as well. Hope everyone covered by the weather warnings keeps safe.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 07-Aug-11 08:24:17

amber warnings still there for parts of eastern Scotland

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 07-Aug-11 08:29:45

It does look to be quite a serious situation developing up there with still a fair bit of rain to come.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 07-Aug-11 18:20:44

Never mind 'up there' It was quite fun down here for a bit this afternoon. We met up with friends at a country park type place and while we were there a rather intense rainstorm hit, causing (we found out later) some pretty impressive road flooding.

We all sheltered in a marquee while the main monsoon like rain hit. Then the thunder and lightning started. Sadly, knowing a little about lightning safety this was not a place I was terribly happy to be in at the time but had little alternative. When we emerged with lightning still going I did boggle at a lady sheltering under a very tall, somewhat isolated tree with umbrella up.

It was fun, but a little inconvenient for a picnic smile

GloriaSmud Sun 07-Aug-11 21:46:23

We've had a bit of a deluge here in Leicester as well. I went blackberry picking this afternoon and was so busy thinking of the blackberry wine apple and blackberry crumbles I was going to make, that I didn't notice the approaching dark cloud ahead of me, until we had 2 great rumbles of thunder. I stayed for another 20 minutes or so as I was right by the car and only 5 minutes from home, but it was noticeable how much the wind got up and the temperature dropped in that time, along with the thunder rumbling as well. I'm glad I wasn't far from home though!

GloriaSmud Mon 08-Aug-11 08:31:56

Weather warnings for today but also some for Wednesday and Thursday, NW England and SW Scotland.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 08-Aug-11 20:34:02

warnings page seems to be down atm. hmpff.

EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 20:40:58

OYBBK: any chance of a storm like that suddenly appearing over London, Birmingham and Leeds?

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 08-Aug-11 21:02:54

it would be bloody useful! nothing signficant showing until wednesday when north midlands upwards will get some substantial rain.

GloriaSmud Mon 08-Aug-11 22:26:17

Weather warning page seems to be back working and the weather warning's been extended to cover some western bits and north Wales for Wednesday/Thursday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now