Talk

Advanced search

USA Tornadoes....a question for OYBBK

(6 Posts)
mankyscotslass Wed 25-May-11 19:33:58

OYBBK, I'm trying to find out if the tornadoe out break yesterday includied an EF-5, and was wondering if you had heard anything yet? Or are they still assessing the damage?

I know the Joplin Tornado was an F-5, and the one in April, and I was just wondering how unusual it is to have as many destructive tornadoes in a single season.

In saying that, it looks like this afternoon and evening is going to be bad there too dosen't it? sad

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 26-May-11 07:32:30

Really sorry Many - I didnt see this last night. I think this is one of the worst outbreaks in living memory sad It is really terrible. They seemed to be locked into a weather pattern that just isnt shifting.

I don't know if you've come across the NWS reports This I think is where all the official reports come up and for severe tornadoes

official EF designations of particular tornadoes

mankyscotslass Thu 26-May-11 07:42:31

Thanks for those links, I'm going to have a look this morning when back from the school run.

I couldn't believe it when I saw there were still watches out this morning. sad

GloriaSmud Thu 26-May-11 10:14:08

They're having a terrible time over there at the moment. I thought I caught on the lunchtime news yesterday that the 'tornado season' finishes in July (didn't catch when it starts), so they could have another month or 2 of this yet.

MmeBlueberry Sat 28-May-11 16:47:32

I thought the Joplin tornado was F4? I have worked in Joplin so really feel for the people there.

I think it will be really hard to eclipse 1973.

mankyscotslass Sat 28-May-11 16:58:13

MmeBlueberry, you are right, it was the Jasper one that was an EF5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now