Talk

Advanced search

Icelandic volcano - Grimsvotn eruption

(199 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 16:14:13

starting a thread here about it as it is possible there may be some air travel disruption perhaps from it. I don't think it will be on the scale of Eyjaf from what i've been reading but it is possible that the back edge of tomorrows storm may bring the ash over uk space. If it does then the amount of disruption caused will depend on the type of ash (at the moment coarser I believe than Eyjafs eruption, so less likely to hang around) and the height and density of the plume. I'll spend a bit of time later trawling the boards and news to try and get a better feel for probabilities.

5318008 Sun 22-May-11 16:15:03

thank you OYBBK

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 16:15:50

you are welcome smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 16:18:20

oh yes, of course it also depends on whether the volcano continues to erupt. It is a particularly frequently active volcano, but this eruption is big for it.

meditrina Sun 22-May-11 16:19:00

I'd started a thread earlier in In The News. I'll link it to this one as OYBBK really is the guru.

GloriaSmud Sun 22-May-11 16:19:47

Ooo another Icelandic volcano to watch! Keeping an eye on any ash cloud as parents are due to fly in from Cyprus on Wednesday.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 16:24:01

news report
Gloria - can they bring it forward to tomorrow? It may well be completely fine but the ATC comment about it expecting things to remain ok for the next 24 hours kind of confirms my thoughts about the back of the storm bringing ash in. I need to get on to my pc to look at the models but dd has nicked it for her homework. As soon as I can I will have a really good look. (getting much better at looking at charts smile )

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 16:24:47

blush meditrina - not sure about that!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 16:26:13

storm thread for those in Scotland/northern England. May come in handy!

GloriaSmud Sun 22-May-11 16:26:35

The 'ash' forecast according to the metoffice (Ash forecast is interesting even if it doesn't affect us/flights!)

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 16:32:36

dusting off old links!

ash maps scroll to the bottom - unfortunately it only goes to 6am tomorrow - we need to look at 6am tuesday!

I need my pc!!!!!!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 16:33:20

cross post Gloria smile I've linked to the directory that contains that map grin

GloriaSmud Sun 22-May-11 16:37:37

Me too, OYBBK!

Mila have set up some webcams already but they don't seem to be working at the moment! But they're here and here if they ever get working! According to one blog this morning, you should also be able to see the plume from the volcano here, to the left, in the distance but it's been quite cloudy over that way, so not much been seen on that one today.

mankyscotslass Sun 22-May-11 16:38:29

Thanks OYBBK, I was looking to see if I could find a thread on this.

This is the biggest eruption of this volcanoe in 100 years apparently! The ash fall in Iceland is really heavy.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 16:39:12

reasonable map here with forecast coverage 18 hours hence.
I guess tomorrow morning will give us a good picture.

GloriaSmud Sun 22-May-11 16:39:50

grin but also blush that the first thing I did when I heard about this on the radio this morning, was to look at all the links from last year!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 16:40:24

ok back later smile

don't forget to check the met office storm warnings people if you are 'oop north'!

mankyscotslass Sun 22-May-11 16:44:59

Try this one for a general idea of the ashfall, the webcams at the top are closest to the area.

webcams

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 22-May-11 16:45:24

Yep we're expecting gusts of up to 60-80 mph shock Bloody nightmare!

GloriaSmud Sun 22-May-11 16:47:12

Oooo thanks, manky.

GloriaSmud Sun 22-May-11 17:01:22

OYBBK (have just seen your message about parents changing flights from earlier on), I'll have to e-mail them and 'encourage' them to change flights/warn them that air traffic might be affected around Wednesday time.

Luckily, they've got their own place out there so there's no having to vacate self-catering places/hotel rooms etc. They were supposed to come back last Wednesday but had to delay a week (Dad wasn't very well) so they've been out there nearly 4 weeks already (though can think of worse places to be 'stranded'!) Ironically, they were due to go out to Cyprus last April and were delayed when the other Icelandic volcano caused trouble!

GloriaSmud Sun 22-May-11 18:51:36

Bigthink volcanism blog (think OYBBK found this one last year!) along with another blog here.
<Notes the speculation bit further down about flights and frets slightly!>

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 19:20:47

That last blog is really good! Nice accessible discussion of what is happening.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 19:32:25

Interesting from a personal point of view to see Etna was active on the 12th (having been standing at that very spot a couple of weeks prior grin )

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 22-May-11 20:17:48

more maps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now