Talk

Advanced search

Weather warnings/advisories for Wednesday-Saturday

(35 Posts)
winterpetunia Wed 05-Jan-11 09:15:44

From the metoffice. Seems like the whole country will be affected by ice, sleet or snow over the next few days.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 05-Jan-11 09:22:59

Was just about to start a thread on this!!!

Really trick to predict what will happen on friday. Going to be very messy as the change from cold to mild will be abrupt. I think the widespread nature of the met office warnings reflect this. Not all in the advisory will get snow!

FlorenceAndTheMachine Wed 05-Jan-11 09:24:29

We had snow Monday night in York. Looked pretty yesterday. Now all melted.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 05-Jan-11 09:33:12

Looking closer at friday - it is a real headache! There is potential for widespread heavy snow (which will be quite a temporary affair) of the majority may see rain. If I were to place bets on it - I would put the midlands most at risk for snow.

in the nearer future again its just such a mix really. NE scotland looks to get a hard hit though.

LilRedWG Wed 05-Jan-11 09:40:35

Crap. Normally adore the snow, but being 34 weeks pregnant and on crutches just means I'm locked in the house. Can I re-order for next year please?

MrsThisIsTheCadillacOfNailguns Wed 05-Jan-11 12:59:28

I don't know whether I want snow or not.I do love it,*but* I haven't worked for over a month because of bad weather and have no money coming in.I suppose snow is better than the horride freezing rain sleet combo going on here today.

winterpetunia Wed 05-Jan-11 14:47:20

Mrs Cadillac ~ it's been grim today, hasn't it? It's stopped raining and is getting a bit brighter now though (just as it's about to get dark!)

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 05-Jan-11 17:25:00

updated warnings

snow and the prediction of it continues to be an issue this week.

MrsThisIsTheCadillacOfNailguns Wed 05-Jan-11 18:43:17

You aren't kidding winterpetunia.I'd just got my coat on to clear some branches out of the garden when the icy rain started.I turned right around and came back in.

Are your dds back at school tomorrow? Mine are-can't wait to have a day to myself again.

winterpetunia Wed 05-Jan-11 20:37:23

Yes they are. DD2 doesn't mind being back but DDs 1&3 aren't too keen! I'm looking forward to time to myself as well. I've got a few jobs to do that that didn't get done before Christmas, due to us all going down with one of those flu bugs that's been going through Leicestershire's schools!

OYBBK ~ noticed both the national and local forecasts are full of words like 'it could be a real battleground between rain and snow' on Friday. Our local TV forecaster went as far as to say that she thought Wales and the West Midlands would have the heaviest snow but that we might still see 1-3cms.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jan-11 07:42:01

I keep looking at it Petunia and my silence is because I really really can't tell where will be snow and where will be rain.

My instinct yesterday was rain for the south and snow for the Midlands but I think now that the south may wake up to snow. It may not though! Tricky rush hour potentially! This snow line looks to move north through the day. In the south it will quickly turn to rain. I think it could be more prolonged in the midlands and north.

Note that in northern england and scotland you may not really see a warm up this weekend and any snow could be a real and more than temporary problem.

Also, one tricky aspect. Even if your temps are a little bit above zero, you may still end up with a good temporary covering of snow. When heavy precipitation moves through a drier slot of air, it can cool that air enough to take it down below zero and what was rain falling is now snow.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jan-11 07:43:05

(btw, if you are just tuning in - my discussion above is re friday!)

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jan-11 11:59:29

bump though no further ideas or info!

winterpetunia Thu 06-Jan-11 12:17:49

Could be an interesting day tomorrow then! According to the metoffice, we're forecast to have heavy snow around midday, turning to light rain (3pm) and then heavy rain by 6pm.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jan-11 12:27:40

south and se now under flash warnings for heavy rain this afternoon.
It is pretty grim out there!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jan-11 12:28:45

oh and tomorrow advisory now excludes the south and concentrates on the midlands. Which makes sense.

winterpetunia Thu 06-Jan-11 13:12:27

The change in the advisory for tomorrow, kind of confirms what our TV forecaster last night was saying, that in our bit of the country Wales and the West Midlands would get the heaviest snow.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Jan-11 13:35:20

I think it is about probably right. Have fun!

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Jan-11 07:40:54

def rain here!!!

updated warnings heavy rain for SW, heavy snow for parts of Wales and west midlands.

snow moves north through the day to eventually affect Scotland.

MrsThisIsTheCadillacOfNailguns Fri 07-Jan-11 09:15:14

Very heavy snow in Leics,and it is settling despite the wet ground.

PuppyMonkey Fri 07-Jan-11 09:16:57

Settling snow here in Ilkeston on the notts/Derbyshire border.

winterpetunia Fri 07-Jan-11 09:34:37

Had about 1/2 an hour of really heavy snow with mahoosive flakes but it's eased off in the last few minutes. Metoffice have done another update and have Leicestershire under an orange warning now for heavy snow.

mankyscotslass Fri 07-Jan-11 09:35:53

Tiny grains of snow here, I think its going to turn to sleet soon.

WilfShelf Fri 07-Jan-11 09:43:23

Chucking it down with snow here since about 7.30 (Midlands)
Now lighter, but we have a good inch lying on the ground. My weather station is reading minus 9, which I just don't believe cos it doesn't feel that cold...

PuppyMonkey Fri 07-Jan-11 10:05:26

Still big snow here, settling.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: