Talk

Advanced search

Scottish MNetters. Talk to me about the snow and flights from Edinburgh

(24 Posts)
MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 09:43:20

My friend is due to fly out to visit us tomorrow from Edinburgh.

She will have to go from Dundee to Edinburgh to the airport.

What are the chances that she will have to cancel? What are the road conditions like?

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 09:59:07

Edinburgh Airport website says it is closed.

oricella Tue 30-Nov-10 10:00:13

You never know what tomorrow will bring; I'm due to catch the sleeper tomorrow and at the moment I rate my chance high I'll have to cancel - I don't want to go out if I'm not sure I'll make it back. The A92 looks pretty dire today on the live cams but if the snow holds off, the roads get cleared and the airport opens she might just be lucky. Maybe would be easier to go via Perth rather than through Fife

I'm secretly pleased Edinburgh is shut; my folks got caught out by nasty crash on the A9 the other week and missed their flight (bus detoured through Fort William - imagine what journey they had!). I had to buy them new tickets and today is their return flight - they were never going to use that part of the ticket, but at least I can apply for a refund now that the flight is cancelled

highriggs Tue 30-Nov-10 10:01:41

airport closed today, all schools closed, no post, large dog up to her chest in snow and am central Edinburgh. This site might help

http://trafficscotland.org/

It's all very changeable at the moment so airport might open later but much depends on how much snow we get this morning

snowboots Tue 30-Nov-10 10:04:57

I don't know what the main roads are like but the gritters are working flat out to keep the main routes clear- the minor roads are hellish.

Flights are leaving Dundee although there are delays - could she fly from Dundee?

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 10:05:12

I checked the weather forecast but they are talking about heavy snow showers tonight.

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 10:10:45

I don't think she could fly from Dundee.

Will phone her this afternoon to see what she thinks. If she can get to the airport, it will be main roads not wee roads.

snowboots Tue 30-Nov-10 10:16:47

Could your friend delay her visit for a few days until it is safer to travel? This Baltic weather is supposed to continue for another week.

It snowed quite heavily last night and the sky has that 'look' about it....

5GoldenFimbos Tue 30-Nov-10 10:20:49

Mme Lindt, my parents are struggling to even get down their street in Dundee. My mum said it took a taxi driver 25 minutes to dig his way out of snow outside their house. It may be difficult for your friend to even get to to the A90 let alone Edinburgh.

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 10:23:30

Fimbo
Not looking good.

No, she cannot put it off. It was hard enough for her to organise childcare for her twins and we planned months in advance.

Last time a friend planned to visit, the bloody volcano in Iceland stopped her getting here.

TheUnmentioned Tue 30-Nov-10 10:25:11

Yesterday it took the whole day to dig our way out, today things are much better. Id fancy her chances of managing if the flight is not cancelled.

expatinscotland Tue 30-Nov-10 10:26:33

So far the airport is closed.

5GoldenFimbos Tue 30-Nov-10 10:27:15

It's crap when you are so looking forward to something and then it is taken out of your hands.

I spoke to my parents about 20 minutes ago and whilst I was speaking to my dad, my mum shouted that it was snowing heavily again. They are stock piling bread and milk in their spare freezer.

We had promised ds we would take him to the Lego shop at Lakeside which is about 90 mins from here, on the 11th which is the first Saturday after his birthday, but it is looking less and less likely as this weather is supposed to go on until after Christmas.

SerenaJoy Tue 30-Nov-10 10:32:01

We live in Edinburgh and my husband made it to work in Dundee this morning. It did take him an hour to dig the car out, mind you...

snowboots Tue 30-Nov-10 10:40:30

Edinburgh Airport is due to open at 11am according to the BBC.

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 14:39:56

Talked to friend. They haven't had the car out of the drive for days. Driving conditions are atrocious. Looks highly unlikely that she will get here.

I have told her not to take the risk, we can always reschedule.

CerealOffender Tue 30-Nov-10 14:41:13

what a shame, bloody snow.

kveta Tue 30-Nov-10 14:42:20

they were shipping (well, bussing) folk across from edinburgh to glasgow airport over the weekend and yesterday, only for flights to be cancelled, and them being bussed straight back to edinburgh. I wouldn't risk it if I were her - too much potential for spending hours and hours at the aiport instead of getting to you. for you and your friend

Unprune Tue 30-Nov-10 14:44:26

What's the forecast? It doesn't look set to get much worse (at least last time I looked).
DH is travelling tomorrow and I'm assuming he'll be able to go, providing it doesn't snow a lot more.
Sorry MMeLindt but hope she does make it!

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 15:26:43

Kveta
Yes, that is what she is worried about. She could get stuck somewhere. She is only coming for two nights so if she has to spend a night at Edinburgh airport then it is no use her even setting off.

It is snowing heavily here now. There is talk about severe weather warnings, they have had 20cm new snow on the Jura mountains today.

Unprune Tue 30-Nov-10 17:26:31

Here's the best place to get up-to-date road/rail info for Edinburgh and around.
www.forthone.com/Default.asp?i=yes
It's not looking great sad

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 18:43:06

Looking worse this side. We have had 4 cm snow in the last 3 1/2 hours, and 20 cm is forecast for the next 24 hours.

Newspaper reports that they may have to close Geneva airport.

Have texted friend and she has replied that she will not even attempt to get to Edinburgh.

What a bummer.

Unprune Tue 30-Nov-10 18:50:27

Aw sad that is a bummer.

Unprune Wed 01-Dec-10 17:40:19

MmeLindt it is all closed! Nothing's coming or going north of Edinburgh at all, and people are advised not to travel. It's not even borderline shall-we-risk-it or-not?
And there was I thinking after the initial shock, they might have got on top of winter in this cold, northern country confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now