Advanced search

So what exactly do I do with salt?

(8 Posts)
onadietcokebreak Thu 25-Nov-10 19:53:23

Got some table salt for path.

Just what exactly do I do with it?

Thanks

AMumInScotland Thu 25-Nov-10 20:14:04

You sprinkle it onto the path, a sort of thinnish sprinkle all over if you can, but you'll probably end up with more of a zigzag, which is fine too as at least those bits of the path will stay ice-free.

GypsyMoth Thu 25-Nov-10 20:17:13

does table salt do it???

i have been out and got a sack of salt/grit.....now i'm wondering why!!

AMumInScotland Thu 25-Nov-10 20:22:46

The rock salt/grit is better because the grit also gives you more traction, and it can grind the salt into the ice more. But table salt is better than nothing - salty water has to get much colder than fresh water to freeze, which is why you only get ice in the water near the poles, and not off the coast in an ordinary winter, even though lakes and rivers will be frozen.

onadietcokebreak Thu 25-Nov-10 20:24:01

Thanks guys- heading out to to it!

orienteerer Thu 25-Nov-10 20:43:00

AMumInS is right, rock salt and grit is best but table salt will work for a small area (as will dishwasher salt etc) grin

orienteerer Thu 25-Nov-10 20:44:42

Should add that clearing snow off said path/drive (before salt/grit) is the best option. Salt on cleared snow works much better than on fresh snow.

onadietcokebreak Thu 25-Nov-10 20:48:27

Thank you. It's only a tiny path. To be honest if it's icy as predicted I won't be going anywhere!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now