Talk

Advanced search

Why do they add Vitamin B1 to baby rice?????

(5 Posts)
Leogaela Sun 07-Aug-05 18:05:36

Any brainy people out there to give me an answer?

WigWamBam Sun 07-Aug-05 18:12:04

Presumably for the same reason that they add it to breakfast cereals and so on - because it's essential for converting carbohydrate into energy, it helps melps maintain healthy nervous system and is necessary for healthy mucous membranes.

It's not harmful to the baby, if that's your concern.

Leogaela Sun 07-Aug-05 18:22:28

Thanks WWB - I have started ds on millet (not baby rice) as his first solid and the baby version has B1 added to it (I noticed its also added to baby rice). I thought that cereals would already be rich in B vitamins and wanted to give him the non-baby version of millet when I've finished this packet which doesn't have B1 added(its about 1/4 the price and I thought it being packeted as baby food is a gimick!) .

Leogaela Sun 07-Aug-05 18:23:10

So if B1 doesn't come from cereals where can you get a natural souce of B1?

WigWamBam Sun 07-Aug-05 18:51:04

Cereals do contain Vitamin B1 naturally, but only whole-grain ones. Refined white rice doesn't contain any vitamin B1 at all.

Natural sources of Vitamin B1 are pork, whole-grain cereals, rye flour, whole-wheat flour, wheat germ and most beans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now