Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend any good books for weaning

(17 Posts)
Ruthiebaby Wed 13-Jul-05 18:52:37

Hi girls (& guys if there's any), I'm starting to wean my son and want to get a book on it with info, ideas and recipes.

Can you please recommend a good book ?

Thankingyou !

serah Wed 13-Jul-05 19:01:08

I like Annabel Karmels books. Have a look at her website to see if you like her ideas.

holloway Wed 13-Jul-05 20:00:40

The Gina Ford Book on Weaning was fantastic - thanks to her meal plans my ds truly eats anything now (lemons, beetroot, you name it, he eats it)).

nailpolish Wed 13-Jul-05 20:02:56

another vote for annabel karmel, her books contain lots of foodie info as well as easy recipes.

i also have a great book i got from markies, dont know if its still available.

if your little ones get into finger foods there is a great book by jennie maizels (think thats her name ) that i got in amazon

evansmummy Wed 13-Jul-05 20:45:55

Annabel Karmels's 'Feeding your Baby and Toddler', it is wonderful. Actually makes you excited about cooking purees for your baby!

Well, it does me, but I am a bit sad.

angie0201 Wed 13-Jul-05 21:12:53

annabel karmel the puddings for my dd who id six months is out of this world strawberry blueberry pear and apple i think it is i made a cumble out of it for dh he tried her food and loved it was jealous he didn't get the same

angie0201 Wed 13-Jul-05 21:13:52

sorry crumble not cumble blush

serah Wed 13-Jul-05 22:25:54

evansmummy

helsi Wed 13-Jul-05 22:27:01

I agree with Annabel Karmel but I also found Lorraine kelly book good too as it covers recipe ideas from 3 months up to 12 months old.

ja9 Wed 13-Jul-05 22:53:43

i found the annabel karmel book a nightmare. the recipes were good, but the eating planner was so complicated. i ended up using gina fords guide for the timings of meals etc, but annabels for what to cook.

i found weaning such a stress

now however, my 10mth ds will eat anything i give him. he is so forgiving - if i make food too watery or thick, he just eats it anyway! so we have a happy ending!

Ruthiebaby Thu 14-Jul-05 10:04:32

Thankyou all

I have ordered Annabel Karmel's Superfood For Babies And Children & Feeding Your Baby And Toddler.

Littlefish Thu 14-Jul-05 12:45:36

I used "what should I feed my baby" by Susannah Oliver. There are some great recipes in it, and some useful background information about why to feed babies some foods before others etc. HOWEVER, she does suggest that you avoid wheat and dairy until a year, so her food programmes are geared towards that. It gave me some really good ideas of alternatives to wheat and dairy (there are allergies in our family, so I'm being cautious). It would be easy to include wheat and dairy into her menu suggestions and as I said, there are some great recipes in there.

evansmummy Thu 14-Jul-05 13:04:59

sorry to hijack but, littlefish, what are the alternatives to wheat, out of interest?

hunkermunker Thu 14-Jul-05 13:11:18

Helsi - recipes from three months? Really? What does LK suggest you cook?

Littlefish Thu 14-Jul-05 13:48:53

Hi evansmummy, it's things like buckwheat, quinoa, brown rice, millet, rice flakes, corn pasta, oats, barley etc. She introduces some at 6 months, others at 9 months and 12 months. She also suggests avoiding potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and aubergines until a year. I've lent the book to someone else or I would give you more details. It's due back tomorrow. CAT me if you want me to look more more info.

Windermere Thu 14-Jul-05 14:33:12

Gina Ford, Annabel Karmel and the Australian Womens weekly cookery books are also good too.

Meeely2 Thu 14-Jul-05 15:46:20

I got one from Tesco, Baby and Toddler meal planner, it made weaning much easier for me as guided me through the various stages. Mine are now on 3 meals a day and four bottles and we will be adding protein soon - chicken, fish etc.

PLus it was easy to use as a guide rather than gospel - I could adapt it round what we already did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now