Talk

Advanced search

Antilop Highchair - how do i remove the tray?

(34 Posts)
AuroraB Wed 09-Dec-09 17:46:39

ok so i've tried lifting from the front, from the back, turning it upside down, can anyone explain how i get the damn tray off?

thanks

Seona1973 Wed 09-Dec-09 18:33:57

I found it best to turn it upside down and then prise off the bits that clip onto the front of the highchair

midnightexpress Wed 09-Dec-09 18:44:25

brute force

GhoulsAreLoud Wed 09-Dec-09 18:46:25

I just came on to say brute force too.

Hold the highchair down and rip off the tray in the manner of the Incredible Hulk.

AuroraB Wed 09-Dec-09 19:22:37

oooo will it go back on afterwards?

Tikkabillajive Wed 09-Dec-09 19:25:50

Agree with brute force approach but I find that directing the brute force to lift from the front of the tray works best. Mine seems to have loosened up a bit over the last 4 years though.

tassisssss Wed 09-Dec-09 19:26:12

i think there's a knack.

one hand on the back of the seat and with the other hand prise it off from the back of the tray, ie the bit that would be nearest the baby if baby were in it!(pulling upwards)

otherwise stand behind chair and put both hands on back of tray and yank upwards

tassisssss Wed 09-Dec-09 19:26:51

haha Tikka, crossed posts! sorry to disagree with you!

Tikkabillajive Wed 09-Dec-09 19:27:00

Yes it should go back on! The two little bits at the sides of the tray just need to hook into the slots on the sides of the chair.

Tikkabillajive Wed 09-Dec-09 19:28:20

grin tassisssss. I am loving the image of women all over the world grappling with their Ikea highchairs!

AuroraB Wed 09-Dec-09 19:31:18

who'd have thought it would be so hard. thanks everyone, it's good to know i'm not the only one to have struggled

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Wed 09-Dec-09 20:29:02

I thought I was thick or a weakling!

But I've discovered a knack now - I steady the chair with my left hand on the back, and then put my right hand underneath the left side of the tray from the front, so that with my fingers straight I can push against the left-side clip from underneath. At the same time, I push upwards on the bottom of the tray with my right forearm, and hey presto! It's hard to describe it properly but hope that helps!

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Wed 09-Dec-09 20:33:24

I thought I was thick or a weakling!

But I've discovered a knack now - I steady the chair with my left hand on the back, and then put my right hand underneath the left side of the tray from the front, so that with my fingers straight I can push against the left-side clip from underneath. At the same time, I push upwards on the bottom of the tray with my right forearm, and hey presto! It's hard to describe it properly but hope that helps!

mistletoeandjuan Fri 11-Dec-09 16:09:57

Oh buggery bollocks. I tried to get it off once and failed so assumed it didn't come off. blush blush blush

I have been cursing everyone who said it was easy to clean as I poked around with my sponge blush

Off to grapple with it.

Luckily DD doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects during the last month blush

madamebovine Fri 11-Jun-10 20:34:01

Oh I've just found this whilst googling the problem. Should have known to look on Mumsnet first!

Thewicketkeeper has it spot on. Came away in my hand after being in place for about 6 months. Yay! Shame it doesn't fit in my dishwasher though.

rosieposey Fri 11-Jun-10 20:38:13

Mine must be faulty hmm it falls off all the time and i just have to push it upwards and it comes off.

jemjabella Sat 12-Jun-10 09:24:15

I find it easiest to hold the front left leg down with my foot (just press against the bobbly bit) and then lift the tray up from the left corner furthest from the seat - above the leg I'm holding.

It sounds more complicated than it is, but I can do it one handed this way (normally because I have my tiddler in the other arm).

Adair Sun 30-Oct-11 07:55:10

Oh my gosh, I love Mumsnet!
Have jsut been grappling... googled... and found this old thread and did it in a second! Though now baby is climbing onto table... ah (was supposed to stop baby wanting to climb, thought he wanted to be at table).

lilham Sun 30-Oct-11 08:00:01

There is a knack to it and it's very easy to cone off. Sort of like a pushchair!

I put my left hand on the chair, the bit where your baby put her bum on. Then I put my right hand around the inside edge of the tray. Then a little lift of the right hand and the tray is off.

Going back on, just tilt the tray at 45deg.

Primafacie Thu 29-Dec-11 19:07:23

Lilham thank you so much, your trick works great! thanks to you!

Grumpla Thu 29-Dec-11 19:10:12

Brute force but for god's sake REMOVE BABY FROM CHAIR FIRST!!!!

<hideous bad mother flashback>

beela Tue 03-Jan-12 08:42:40

OK, so anyone know how to keep a climbing baby in the antilop highchair??

There doesn't seem to be any way to fit a 5 point harness, went to get a cloth earlier and came back to find DS had wriggled out from the lap belt (I do tighten it but it loosens itself) and was sitting on the tray with his back to me!

OneLittleBabyGirl Tue 03-Jan-12 09:42:02

beela Have a look at this thread.

beela Tue 03-Jan-12 11:44:12

thank you smile

Blatherskite Fri 06-Jan-12 09:55:59

Beela, I bought a set of reins from Toys R Us that came with 2 straps to attach it to a high chair. I removed the lap belt and used the black clips to attach the straps that clipped onto the reins. It worked really well - no more climbing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now