Talk

Advanced search

When to stop breastfeeding/formula?

(3 Posts)
ElleRaiser Tue 10-Nov-09 22:05:52

What is the thinking on when it is okay to switch to cow's milk or other drinks? DD1 is breastfed, and feeds a lot at night and in the morning, but has formula on the 3-5 days a week she is in childcare. I am quite keen to carry on breastfeeding, at least through the winter, if not longer. But is 12 months too young to ditch the formula the rest of the time and give her other drinks in a beaker instead? The nursery staff member I spoke to thought not, but thought I should check with a health visitor. She is a great eater, by the way, and has lots of fab food at nursery... but she is there 10 straight hours by the time I drop her off and pick her up...

MrsBadger Tue 10-Nov-09 22:08:43

at 12m you can ditch formula and give cows' milk as a main drink, esp as she is a good eater, but obv bf is better when you can.

I wouldn;t substitute 'other drinks' eg water/juice for formula though, just full-fat cows' milk.

theyoungvisiter Tue 10-Nov-09 22:10:17

I am pretty sure it's fine to give cow's milk from 12 months.

I put DS1 into childcare at 13 months and he never had formula, just breastfed morning and night. I think the nursery gave him cow's milk at lunchtime in a cup, but that was it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now