Talk

Advanced search

Finding no time to cook baby food - help!

(9 Posts)
MissJoanHolloway Thu 05-Nov-09 16:37:56

My first DD I faithfully cooked and mashed loads of healthy food for but am having trouble finding time to do all this with baby.

I am cooking two different meals already.

Any suggestions? Looking for some easy and nutritious solutions, baby is 7.5 months old.

shonaspurtle Thu 05-Nov-09 16:41:05

What's your other dd eating? Can you not just mash that a bit? Or just the baby friendly bits of the two meals you're already cooking mashed up a bit?

I think the key is definitely to give the two children the same thing if not all of you.

CMOTdibbler Thu 05-Nov-09 16:41:05

Just give the baby whatever everyone else is eating - if the rest of you really need salt, add it to your plate, not in cooking though so that the baby doesn't get too much

LIZS Thu 05-Nov-09 16:41:39

Can you not just mash up elements of what you are already cooking ?

shonaspurtle Thu 05-Nov-09 17:29:49

Sorry, you asked for ideas.

How about fish pie? Very easily mashable. Bolognese type sauces with spaghetti chopped up small for the little one?

iwantitnow Thu 05-Nov-09 19:20:38

I struggle too as lots of things DD would like DS who is 7.5months would't or shouldn't eat - sausages, rice (DS just throws it round the table and on the floor) etc.. DD doesn't have the biggest range of foods and hates potato is any form other than chip and food with sauces. I just batch cook for DS but he has now refused all savoury mush so I'm back to square one.

I don't find it easy to give the baby the same as us - may not matter if your baby is formula fed as you can fill them up with milk, but if BFing you end up feeding them all night and thats not possible when you haven't had a full nights sleep for 7.5months anyway and have a toddler to look after all day. Sorry I'm grumpy.

Warwickmum Fri 06-Nov-09 21:36:57

I am also bf 9mo and not sure if difficult for you to give DS what you are having because of timing (I know we cannot in anyway have our dinner at same time as my DS as DH still well at work then), but if it is any help, I generally cook a bit extra of whatever we have once he has gone to bed then mash it up in a little tupperware tub and put in fridge for his dinner the next day, or if enough, freeze some too. I am still quite often adding a stage 1 puree to whatever it is to try and make it 'less dry' if it is something we might have gravy on for instance, (and also adds more calories to build them up too).

MissJoanHolloway Sat 07-Nov-09 17:44:21

Ok, maybe she is old enough for the mashing now. I was struggling with the whole food processor puree thing I think.

Good idea to maybe mash the leftovers up.

thanks everyone and sorry for the delay in replying.

moondog Sat 07-Nov-09 17:47:57

Why are you cooking two meals already?
Just give a bit of what you are cooking to everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now