Talk

Advanced search

can they really eat what we eat?

(16 Posts)
mrsflux Thu 05-Nov-09 16:08:42

our HV has advised that now DS (7months) should be eating what we eat which would be lovely as i'm getting a bit sick of cooking two meals.

so my questions are about the things i add when cooking, can they have
- worcestershire sauce
- balsamic vinegar
- marmite

i add these to things like spag bol and shepherds pie

it's ok if they can't just means i'll have to change my tried and tested favourites!

(due to extreme sleep deprivation i forgot to ask at the time!)

DrCosyTiger Thu 05-Nov-09 16:11:23

Absolutely! The only thing you have to watch is the salt content. So balsamic fine, worcestershire sauce almost certainly ok, marmite not so sure - maybe check the label for salt/sodium.

DrCosyTiger Thu 05-Nov-09 16:12:21

Oh and no honey until 1 year old. Your cooking sounds fab btw!

sarah293 Thu 05-Nov-09 16:12:35

Message withdrawn

greensnail Thu 05-Nov-09 16:12:54

yes, DD has all of these things, a little bit is fine, but you do need to be careful how much salt they're getting, so go easy on the worcestershire sauce and marmite.

mrsflux Fri 06-Nov-09 10:40:01

thanks ladies!

i pureed up our cottage pie last night so will see how that goes!

the relief of not having to cook twice! grin

DrCosyTiger Fri 06-Nov-09 12:32:33

Mrsflux, can we not tempt you over to the dark side of baby led weaning? Then you don't even have to puree it grin But even if not - you're right, it does make life easier ...

mrsflux Fri 06-Nov-09 12:36:37

DrCosy Tiger - oh no i'm too scared of BLW! well not BLW itself but the projectile puke that DS does whenever he encounters a lump! don't have the will power to ride that one out!
also DS is a hungry bunny so think he'd have a fit if the food wasn't going in fast enough!

JoeyBettany Fri 06-Nov-09 22:36:20

Why no honey till a year? Shit, i've been giving honey of 9 month old dd's porridge every morning for ages now, hope it's not a really serious reason...

greensnail Fri 06-Nov-09 22:43:01

Honey can contain a bacteria that causes serious illness - infact botulism. Its rare, but best to avoid honey until they're one for this reason.

lou031205 Fri 06-Nov-09 22:43:51

Botulism - babies' guts are susceptible www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854 Best to stop.

AvadaNuffofFireworks Fri 06-Nov-09 22:46:39

No honey till 12 months
www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2712604/Baby-given-botulism-dummy-fights-for-life.html

Very very very very rare though

JoeyBettany Sat 07-Nov-09 08:10:49

bugger!

JoeyBettany Sat 07-Nov-09 08:13:30

thanks guys for the info though. Golden syrup for dd now!

QueenOfFlamingEverything Sat 07-Nov-09 08:29:47

I have to say DD had small amounts of honey in cooking from about 9 months onwards.

I am not trying to suggest anyone goes against official honey advice here, but this is a very interesting article from a honey expert about infant botulism.

JoeyBettany Sat 07-Nov-09 09:30:17

Very interesting article queen0ffe, always good to know the facts behind the recommendations. LOL about the dad who had a panic attack about feeding 11 monthold old smoothie with honey traces in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now