Talk

Advanced search

will she drink water if she needs it?

(5 Posts)
aquavit Thu 05-Nov-09 09:41:24

6mo dd is just starting on solids (mix of mashed up fruit and veg, and finger foods). Quite a bit is getting properly swallowed and she seems very keen. But she's not really drinking water at all (we're using that Tommee Tippee cup that seems to be popular: she can get the water out alright but mostly spits it out again!).

She's fed milk on demand (her routine hasn't changed in fact), but two out of six feeds per day are now formula as she's at nursery. Will she get enough to drink? And, if she needs more, will she take it from the cup when she needs it?

I am sure I'm fussing unnecessarily but reassurance would be very much appreciated!

MrsBadger Thu 05-Nov-09 10:57:59

yes she will be fine smile

milk on demand will keep her hydrated and she will get the hang of water evntually

aquavit Fri 06-Nov-09 09:44:24

thanks MrsB, I think I just needed someone else to say it to reassure me!

MrsMong Fri 06-Nov-09 13:39:40

My DD didn't work out her cup until 9.5 months. Until the she just sucked the water out and then spat it down her bib / clothes. I was getting worried about hydration as she was down to 3 BF a day and then stopped eating form a spoon, so all her food became quite dry.

I posted somewhere here (sorry, cant find post) and as if by magic the next day she sussed it and drank almost a full TT cup!!!

I only really worried about dehydration when she had diahorrea and gave her an extra BF (dreamfeed) to keep the fluids up)

Undercovamutha Fri 06-Nov-09 14:20:44

Sorry! Bad form to hijack, but I have a similar problem.....
DS is 7 months and is eating a fair bit now (mixture of purees/cereal and finger foods such as toast, banana, rice cakes). It has always been a struggle to get him to drink enough, before and now he is weaned. He has a (very quick) bf first thing, breakfast (solids), lunch (solids), bottle at 2ish (4oz), tea (solids), bottle at 7ish (7oz). This doesn't seem like much milk to me, although he also has approx 3oz with his cereal and usually has a yoghurt, but I am mainly worried about his liquid consumption overall. I can't get him to drink water from a sippee cup, so I have reverted back to a bottle for water, which he has now decided he won't drink from either! Is it too long for him to go from 7/8am to 2/3pm without a drink? He doesn't seem dehydrated, but doesn't have many wet nappies in the day now (though very wet in evening).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now