Talk

Advanced search

When can I give DD pulses?

(6 Posts)
Elpis Wed 04-Nov-09 22:17:57

She's 6mo and a week and we've tried various fruit and veg, fromage frais and cheese sticks so far. Would like to introduce lentils and/or chickpeas, but I read somewhere that you should wait until 7mo +. Is this true?

BikeRunSki Wed 04-Nov-09 22:29:25

My HV told me that pretty much anything (apert from honey, soft cheese, soft eggs...) is good to go after six months, once DS had had a few days of veg etc to get used to it. I am pretty sure that I gave him well cooked lentils after a week or two. Def not as late at 7 months.

DrCosyTiger Thu 05-Nov-09 16:17:19

Hi Elpis - think I gave DD red lentils very shortly after she was 6m with no problems. They are one of her favourites now, cooked up with some spices and tinned tomatoes.

Crazycatlady Thu 05-Nov-09 16:28:23

Not heard that - we introduced red lentils at 6 months in a nice warming stew with carrot, potato etc, cooked down in some chicken stock and cumin for flavour. She loved it and is still a firm fave. Nice easily digestible form of protein and they mush down during cooking so no need to blend.

Chickpeas/beans etc she had pretty much from the word go too (mashed), no problems (although probably wouldn't give for both lunch and tea unless I wanted a really farty baby!)

RedHairedGirlie Fri 06-Nov-09 15:30:18

I've been giving my DD a recipe with Lentils in since she was just over 6 months - Lentils with carrot and cheese... its one of her faves :-) I'm going to make scotch broth soon and try her that :-)

Elpis Sat 07-Nov-09 14:47:19

Thanks everyone! Will break out the red lentils this weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now