Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to bought baby /kids yoghurts?

(24 Posts)
RedHairedGirlie Mon 02-Nov-09 16:59:26

Hi There

I have started giving my 7 month old DD the tiny yoghurt pots after her lunch each day.. thinking they were free from the 'usual suspect' ingredients that we're advised to avoid if poss. Anyway, she had her first dentist chat last week, just a friendly chat and the dentist mentioned that although they do have healthy benefits for calcuim etc, they are high in sugar, and an alternative might be greek yoghurt with normal puree fruit mixed in. Has anyone done this, or used any other alternatives?

i do give DS greek yoghurt with raisins or chopped apricots in, but these days I buy those big fruit flavoured Yeo organic pots and give him some of those. Would imagine they've got plenty of sugar though. DS is 2 though.

I did used to buy little stars / petits filous but buy the yeo ones instead I mean

BonjourIvresse Mon 02-Nov-09 17:03:34

I've used greek yoghurts with purees or bio yoghurt.

LeonieBooCreepy Mon 02-Nov-09 17:03:44

Message withdrawn

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Mon 02-Nov-09 17:04:19

I used to give DS natural yoghurt with fruit puree mixed into it.

PacificGuywood Mon 02-Nov-09 17:05:11

I used to make "baby slop": puree banana and whatever other fruit and give on its own, in yoghurt, rolled in homemade pancakes (when I made v eggy pancakes as DS1 refused egg in any other form hmm).

Anyway, am now past the pureeing stage and DS1 and 2 (6 and 5 years) still demand it every now and then, so cannot have been too vile...grin

displayuntilbestbefore Mon 02-Nov-09 17:05:35

my boys have lived on greek yoghurt with fruit since they were weaned!
Stewed apple or plums are nice and then as cvhildren get older you can add more textures - granola or raisins etc.
Also a fan of the Rachel's Dairy baby's first yogurt as no sugar added, just fruit to sweeten it. Even my 7yr old eats those as they're a decent size pot.

EdgarAllenPoo Mon 02-Nov-09 18:32:31

greek yoghurt every day, with rough chopped banana, raisins or whatever in it.

they love it. And at 98 p per big pot, much much cheaper than the little pots.

and nicely fatty @10% fat..great for keeping them full.

cara2244 Mon 02-Nov-09 19:57:51

Mine adores plain Greek yog, nothing added, and has done since he was about 7mths.

DrCosyTiger Mon 02-Nov-09 20:05:44

So does my 7.5mo DD - just plain Greek yoghurt or sometimes I add raspberries which are very popular if also very messy as we are doing BLW. I keep finding the raspberry pips in all sorts of odd places.

FaintlyMacabre Mon 02-Nov-09 20:12:09

The other great thing about Greek Yoghurt is that it is much thicker than other yoghurt- so ideal for early spoon practice as it doesn't drip everywhere.
We usually mash a banana into it, but now he is older I often just add a spoonful of jam.
A special treat is banana, jam, and hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top- DS calls this cokey yoghurt for reasons unknown!

dreamylady Mon 02-Nov-09 20:22:36

you could try- if you can get - probios rice and rice desserts - vanilla or choc flavour - no sugar tho 17% corn syrup - better for young one's digestion but not sure if less bad for teeth. our dd 4.5 has been eating these since was a baby and we went dairy free bcs of her eczema (virtually non existent now)- best thing about them, they keep in the cupboard, don't take up fridge space and great for camping if you're so inclined. Her teeth are absolutely fine. prob will need to try the sort of shop that sells gluten free / wheat free / vegan groceries.

hellsbelles Mon 02-Nov-09 20:23:19

leonie - what age are you allowed to start using honey? I seem to remember it's dangerous up to a certain point but can't remember when!

Pluto Mon 02-Nov-09 20:30:28

I think you are supposed to avoid honey until 12 months but I've been giving DS2 the Rachel's Organic Greek yoghurt with honey since he was about 7 months. My figuring is that as I'm not actually spooning in tablespoons of the sticky stuff from a jar of Gales or whatever, and that it's already mixed into the yoghurt it's probably dilute enough not to create problems.

RedHairedGirlie Mon 02-Nov-09 21:37:32

Thanks all for the replies, will stick with the natural greek yoghurt.. and lots of other idess to keep me going too :-)

Ivykaty44 Mon 02-Nov-09 21:41:27

make your own yogurt and dont put any extra sugar in it smile

hellsbelles Mon 02-Nov-09 21:44:14

thanks pluto (sorry for hijack RHG - just wanted to check!)

RedHairedGirlie Mon 02-Nov-09 21:50:23

No probs Hellsbelles - all useful information and honey was something that I had considered too :-)

hellsbelles Mon 02-Nov-09 21:55:56

thanks RHG!

LeonieBurningHeapy Mon 02-Nov-09 22:07:07

Message withdrawn

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Nov-09 22:13:58

Pureed avocado and banana has a smooth yoghurty texture and is not too sweet. I use it as a yoghurt alternative when DS is a bit snotty.

Otherwise, natural full fat or greek yoghurt and fruit puree. Soemtimes with oats mixed in for bulk.

BertieBotts Mon 02-Nov-09 22:26:19

Just thought I should come on and quickly say that honey is to be avoided until 12 months because it may contain spores which can cause infant botulism, an extremely serious illness which always leads to paralysis and can even kill - it really is not worth the risk. If your DCs have been fine so far that's great but I really would stop using honey until they are 1 year old, by which time their gut will have matured enough to kill the spores that cause the illness.

It is rare (according to NHS website only 6 cases in the last 25 years) but it's not like food poisoning, it's very serious so I think it's best to avoid the risk altogether.

LeonieBurningHeapy Tue 03-Nov-09 08:22:19

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now