Talk

Advanced search

BLW older baby - panic

(5 Posts)
ElleRaiser Sat 31-Oct-09 22:45:44

I have weaned DD using a mix of purees etc and BLW. She started reluctantly but now, at 12 months, is a fab eater. So enthusastic, in fact, that in recent weeks she has started gobbling - and I have had a few heart-stopping moments when huge chunks of banana, meat and even an entire brussel sprout ahve disappeared in to her mouth and seemed about to be swallowed whole. I am petrified she is going to choke.

What do I do now? My instinct is to start giving her only very small bits of food and stop allowing her to have things to chew on.

Anyone else had the same?

hanaflower Sat 31-Oct-09 22:52:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

titferbrains Sun 01-Nov-09 12:15:06

I do blw of a kind and just make sure things are in reasonable chunks. I was previously cutting things into finger shapes but I realised she would eat better if things were in smaller pieces that she could pick up and put in. so maybe cutting things smaller is the best way.

ElleRaiser Sun 01-Nov-09 21:21:21

Thanks guys... I think chopping is the way to go - she can pick up the tiniest of things now, so it won't present a problem.

Hanaflower, I read up on first aid when she arrived, but it's all blank now. Time to recap.

I wonder if this gobbling comes as a result of watching me in action at the cake plate...?

TheMummyonElkStreet Sun 01-Nov-09 21:29:01

hiya - think you're right, maybe sprouts etc keep cutting them in half for a bit, she's not completely grown up yet...though IME 12mths are liable to different habits every week?! so fingers crossed this will pass soon...
Agree too re cake - you should see my DD wolf down cake!! Scary stuff - and I can't shrug off any blame, it's a mirror image..wink
Just keep an eye on her and be on hand - you've done a great job so far, and she loves her food - good work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now