Talk

Advanced search

Breastfed DD2 cries if I eat ANY fruit or veg

(6 Posts)
SuperAmoo Wed 28-Oct-09 21:14:44

Does this sound familiar to anyone? If I eat any fruit or veg (except for potatoes or apples strangely) my DD2 who is breasfed, spends the next day crying and crying and straining for the loo and all her nappies turn green and she can't sleep. She's had this since birth and I figured she'd grow out of it but she's 18 weeks now and it's no better. I'm starting to slightly panic now because I don't know how to wean her if this carries on. She is dairy, soya and egg intolerant too so... Has anyone else's baby had this problem - did they grow out of it - is it an intolerance or an immature gut???

BertieBotts Wed 28-Oct-09 21:20:11

Sorry, I don't want to sound dismissive, but - are you sure it isn't just a coincidence? It must be difficult to eliminate all fruit and veg from your diet to test this. Are you also having to eliminate dairy, soya and egg? If so, what do you eat? (curious...)

Either way it sounds rotten for you, sorry to hear that Hope someone comes along soon who can help!

BertieBotts Wed 28-Oct-09 21:21:03

(Also would suggest posting on breast and bottle feeding section as it's busier than the weaning board.)

SuperAmoo Wed 28-Oct-09 21:24:39

Yes I'm absolutely positive. For the past three months all I have eaten is honey on toast, baked pototoes, crisps or chips, tuna, chicken, bread, hobnobs, apples. That's it! I'm am so SICK of eating these things but every now and then I'll test DD2 and eat a piece of carrot or have a spoonful of peas or something and the next day without fail the non-stop crying, straining, green nappier, and not sleeping strikes.

thisisyesterday Wed 28-Oct-09 21:34:47

what is she like the rest of the time?

like BB i don't want to seem dismissive, but it just seems so, well, so unlikely! (not suggesting you're lying, but just never heard of anything like it before)
I absolutely believe that she shows these symptoms but just trying to think of any other cause for it other than the food you eat.

i think actually if you are 100% certain then i would see a GP and ask about allergy testing for her (although i have heard that this can be quite unreliable in young children, but don't know a huge amount about it). I do know it's virtually impossible to test for intolerances, but at least you might find out if there are any actual allergies there.

hmmmm
will ponder on it a bit more

Ocelot Mon 02-Nov-09 21:06:28

This sounds really similar to my DS. Every day he would scream a while after feeding, go very rigid and seem in pain. He'd wake up in the night, every night screaming in pain and completely rigid. It was horrible. His poos were almost always green. My mum, sister and sister's two kids have had lots of problems with food intolerances and allergies. I tried cutting out dairy, soya, wheat, gluten, caffeine, various fruit and veg and was never able to clearly establish what was causing the problem. Now DS is 6 months and is much better, I'm now eating anything and I've begun to wean him. I think problem was terrible trapped wind, so I started to wind him a lot during and after feeds.
My sisters' son has very food allergies and he had a problem with dairy while she was breastfeeding - he had shockingly bad eczema as a result. Paediatrition told me if my DS had allergies this would most likely be the way he would react.
Sorry for ramblings but I never got to the bottom of it and think some food may have been disagreeing with him but that he's now grown out of it. Sounds like you have been able to establish the problem foods more clearly. My DS grew out of it from about 20 weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now