Talk

Advanced search

MIL giving DS pasta bake made with (gasp) jar or sauce (salt cont OK tho)

(8 Posts)
FrumpyPumpy Wed 28-Oct-09 12:42:15

DS 7m, MIL looks after him for a few hours once or twice a week while I MN study. Do I just suck it up as she is being so helpful (not that she minds - she loves having him) or, since everything he and we eat is cooked from scratch, ask her not to use jars, which is how she cooks. Am I being undgrateful/ unreasonable/neurotic? I am more than prepared to stock up her freezer with stuff I've made, not sure how she'd feel about that tho.

PurpleEgluggedblood Wed 28-Oct-09 12:44:48

I think with a 7mth old its perfectly reasonable to take food with you. But since you haven't done it from the start then that might be a bit difficult.

If the salt content is okay then I would just leave it tbh. Its not like its every day. And I home cooked all of my DCs food.

If you're sure the salt content is OK, let it go.

blametheparents Wed 28-Oct-09 12:46:10

I would let him have your MIL's food tbh.
One meal a week of pasta bake is not going to do him any harm, I doubt that at 7 months he is even going to eat very much to make much of a nutritional impact.

I think you are being a tiny bit neurotic, but then we all are with our babies! Just in the grand scheme of things it does not matter that much.

Just wait until he gets invited to his first McDonald's birthday party followed by loads of sweets in a party bag, a bit of pasta bake is gonna see like small fry then!

BertieBotts Wed 28-Oct-09 12:48:07

If everything else is cooked from scratch and the salt content is ok, I wouldn't worry about it.

If want to test the water you could always offer to provide his food though to save on her shopping bills - present it like you are doing her a favour? But if you think it is likely to offend her I wouldn't bother - pick your battles!

SCARYspicemonster Wed 28-Oct-09 12:48:53

I think you're being a bit PFB about it tbh -unless the jar is stuffed full of crap, it's not actually going to hurt him. And if you didn't specify what he could and couldn't eat before she started looking after him, anything you say now is going to look critical.

My mum also gives my DS stuff to eat which I wouldn't feed him but I've just stopped being so precious about it because it's a small price to pay for her looking after him really

BertieBotts Wed 28-Oct-09 12:48:56

Or as a compromise maybe you could insist she uses the Heinz baby cook sauces?

FrumpyPumpy Wed 28-Oct-09 12:49:17

You're right. I did ask about salt, and she'd checked the jar - she's read the Gill Rapley book I leant her, so sure will be OK. It's just, sniff, maltodextrose and stuff.

He'll probably wolf it down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now