Talk

Advanced search

breadsticks, oatcakes, houmous, nut butters etc

(5 Posts)
Chants73 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:17:04

Hi
my son is just over 6 months and loves feeding himself-so far pretty limited-toast and fruit spread, steamed veg, banana etc. Have not risked anything "wet yet".

I have looked at breadsticks in the super market and they all have salt in-is this ok for him to have? Are oatcakes better?

Similarly should I make my own houmous for him? can he have tahini in it (worried about sesame seeds as think people can be allergic). Have similar fears re: nut butters.

would be grateful if someone could tell me if I am worrying un-necessarily (I often do!)

many thanks

C

2cats2many Sun 25-Oct-09 21:25:35

I think shop-bought hummous is fine. Its pretty bloody awful without the tahini anyway- just chickpea mush really.

What about avacado sandwiches or rice cakes (with no added salt)?

I also wouldn't worry too much about the salt in breadsticks either- there's quite a bit of salt in bread too.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 25-Oct-09 21:28:58

Oakcakes tend to have more salt in than breadsticks I think - check the labels. I gave my humous/peanut butter/pretty much everything from day one.

Bear in mind though that the quantities a baby eats are pitifully small so where you find a breadstick has .1g of salt in 10% of daily limit - your child may only eat half of that and is unlikely to scoff down 10 entire breadsticks (unless he's my DS in which case he will do this and then eat the box hmm).

MrsBadger Sun 25-Oct-09 21:31:24

if there is no history of allergies in your immediate family then you're fine to give him just about anything except (um) honey, chokey things like whole grapes and too mcuh salt.

Read the packets and the DOH salt guidelines before panicking about breadsticsk - most are no saltier than actual bread.

Try Philadelphia on toast too, or mashed avocado. And don't be afraid to give him (unsalted) bits of whatever you're eating - much the easiest way to do it.

Chants73 Mon 26-Oct-09 09:35:45

thanks everyone-going to supermarket later so will investigate labels

c

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now