Talk

Advanced search

Late weaning.....sort of....help and advice please!

(3 Posts)
Somewhereovertherainbow Fri 23-Oct-09 12:38:19

I feel that I need to explain. I have a child with special needs and a 12 month old baby, not special needs.

My child with SN had a terrible time weaning, gagging, choking, really hard going.

As a result, I am ashamed to say that I have delayed giving finger foods to my new baby, because I am so worried that he will choke.

I have fed him mashed foods and smallish lumps, but no finger foods.

Obviously, DD didn't choke and got through weaning, though she still needs certain foods cut up small and does still gag on certain foods.

I realise that I need to overcome my fear and that can't go on not giving my 12 month old finger foods, so looking for advice really on how do I start with a 12 month old.

I am just too ashamed to ask Health visitor and TBH they were no use at all advising me about my special needs child; had quite a bad experience with the HV service.

Has anyone else delayed finger foods until 12 months? I have given him the occasional rusk to chew.

What would be good foods to start and how small/large should they be?

He has a mouthful of teeth, BTW.

tiktok Fri 23-Oct-09 17:07:40

Aw, somewhere, shame your HV can't help. You can check out babyled weaning on wikipedia for suggestions that will work just as well with a 12 mth old as a 6 mth old....and the fact your ds will take a rusk is a start

Somewhereovertherainbow Mon 26-Oct-09 10:09:37

Thanks for replying tiktok, I will have a look at baby led weaning resources, and check out some finger food recommendations.

I have decided to overcome my choking fear by going on a baby first aid course, but having trouble finding one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now