Talk

Advanced search

What snacks for a 7 month old

(9 Posts)
iwantitnow Fri 23-Oct-09 10:05:18

I'm struggling to think of easy and quick snacks to give my 7 month old. Hs is a hungry boy and is not happy just having a BF instead he wants food. Want to stop having to give his lunch and dinner early as I want to fit them in with my 3 year old.

So far I give apple rice cakes, rice cakes or pitta with houmous and cream cheese (but not good on the go as so messy), breadsticks, chopped up pear and apple. He has 4 teeth so is beginning to chew but doesn't have a pincer grip to eat raisins. I suppose I can make mini sandwiches, although I'm aware he eats quite a lot of bread.

Need ideas to fill him up as I don't think rice cakes and breadsticks are that great.

strawberrie Fri 23-Oct-09 20:25:21

I was going to suggest cucumber sticks as my daughter loves gumming/gnawing them, but they're not exactly filling, although you could use them as a dipper for houmous etc?

MrsJamin Fri 23-Oct-09 20:41:00

That seems like a pretty good selection for a 7 month old. Have a look at the Goodies range of finger food snacks from Organics - they're not bad but all really messy. I would steer away from apple until he's a bit older by the way, it's very hard and a bit of a choking hazard. It was one of the only foods I held off from giving (BLWed) DS as it just seemed to hard. Gnawing from the apple might be alright but not chunks of apple. Why not try other fruits like segents of satsuma, pineapple, banana, mango etc? It does get a bit messy though.

Lotster Fri 23-Oct-09 20:58:40

My little one is nearly 8 months and will happily munch on carrot sticks (steamed) and oven cooked plain potato wedges?

You could try grated cheese or pieces of cold pasta too.

iwantitnow Fri 23-Oct-09 22:15:11

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm steering clear of the Organix ranges except the rice cakes as DD loved them but not much other solid food until she was 2 so poor DS will to do without!

Biggest problem at the moment is that he just loves eating, not used to it as DD was the opposite would only BF all day. If either me our DD eat in front of him he starts whinging but fruit doesn't seem to fill him up.

Gemzooks Fri 23-Oct-09 22:46:00

I also have 3 year old and 7 month old.. at the mo I am giving her a bit of his meal, so they eat at the same time. I usually mash up what he has and give her some, or I give her snacks in addition. She is also BF. I find avocado really good, do you want stuff he can hold? I give her some stuff on a spoon and then some stuff to hold, especially to be able to give the 3 year old at least a bit of attention. so tonight's tea for example, 3 year old had fried fish, couscous and veg with avocado, 7 month old had mashed up avocado, a piece of fish to pick up, bit of couscous to try, plus her usual baby porridge made with EBM and mashed up banana.. she eats plain rice cakes.

From what you say I would be inclined to just give DS a bit of what DD is having.. also, can you adjust the routine to the 3 year old. I have both mine on 8 am to 8 pm, both have dinner at 6, just so they eat together..

dinkystinkystein Sat 24-Oct-09 21:30:03

french toast
home made rusks
cheese on toast fingers
slices of pear, plum, melon, pineapple, mango - store quite well in tupperware
banana - apparently you can leave the skin on to help them grip and uct into fingers - though now DS2's pince grip has developed I've moved to giving him banana discs
raspberries, blueberries, blackberries all good too
organic dried apricots
pitted dates - cut in half

though all the above make alot of mess...

To be honest DS2, 8 months, eats pretty much what DS1 does

ThePinkOne Sat 24-Oct-09 21:46:21

You can make a batch of something like fishcakes, potato cakes or beanburgers and freeze them individually to take out for a snack. Or little pastry parcels (pasties/samosas).

I tend to think of snacks as biscuits, breadsticks etc. I need to get my head round a snack just being a small portion of anything! Shredded wheat bitesize, cheese chunks, any of the things I mentioned to freeze.

Louby3000 Sat 24-Oct-09 21:56:20

segments of oranges, satsumas etc,
slices of avacodo with the skin on
slices of bell peppers
raw mushrooms
oatcakes
h/m flap jacks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now