Talk

Advanced search

Trying BLW but DS gags all the time, help please...

(9 Posts)
cassell Thu 22-Oct-09 18:59:26

DS is 6.5mo, he sits up well and is good at picking things up. We have been trying to do BLW for the last few weeks but it is not going well at all. Everytime we try it he manages to bite a bit off and then gags on it with lots of red faced coughing ensuing. So far he has managed to bring up whatever he was got in his mouth but I'm really worried that he might choke. I have tried (cooked) carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, potato (uncooked) banana and rusks. Rusks are the most successful but he can still gag on them. He will happily pick things up and play with them but then gets really frustrated with it especially when he gags.

DH is v sceptical about the whole thing and we spent last week at my mum's and she spent the whole week saying she wouldn't do it and that she doesn't understand how I can do it (re possibility of choking).

I've read the book but I'm not really sure what is the best to do, should I continue trying BLW and if so what is the best way of stopping him gagging every time? Or is it best to go to purees/spoon feeding instead?

Any advice appreciated!

SofaQueen Thu 22-Oct-09 19:01:49

DS2 was the same - very sensitive gag reflex. I switched to purees + a variety of finger foods on the side. Also, didn't really push the solids as I knew that his milk intake was fine, so the solids were more like extras.

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Thu 22-Oct-09 19:03:14

I would carry on with the BLW. He has to learn what to do, eating is a while new skill for him. It may take a while for him to learn, but it doesn't matter.

He may not be quite ready, so just let him carry on playing but keep a watchful eye on him.

Have you got Gina Rapley's book? If so, get your husband to read it and then ask him if he has the same reservations.

cassell Thu 22-Oct-09 19:11:15

Sofaqueen - I agree the solids are extra, I'm not worried about him actually eating stuff, he is still having plenty of milk (bf's every 2hrs at least).

Iliketoquickstep - yes I have the book from the library, good idea to get dh to read it (though not sure he will...). I do watch him constantly but as everything goes straight in his mouth it's a bit difficult as the food seems to break up then. Any suggestions of what food would be best to give him?

BonjourIvresse Thu 22-Oct-09 19:21:57

Ds loved a quarter of a jacket potato with the skin still on and melon and pear this week. He sucked the potato off the skin.

MrsMotMot Fri 23-Oct-09 11:27:34

My DS was a total gag monster. Vomitting, too. Super sensitive gag reflex. I was just determined and stuck with the BLW and he has been slooow with the food, but the gagging disappeared and he actually eats now, yay! (He's 11 months, only really started eating at 9 months I'd say)

You've got to have faith in
a) solids being extra and
b) BLW working and not being a crazy fad but sensible option. Which isn't easy esp if family and friends are horrified doubtful!

MrsMotMot Fri 23-Oct-09 11:30:23

oh and I found really ripe papaya and mango good, cut a strip with skin on and they can just suck of soft squishy fruit. He will learn, just takes a while. The book gives the impression that gagging will be overcome very quickly but with my DS it took ages.

cassell Fri 23-Oct-09 13:47:01

Thanks MrsMotMot, that's helpful. I have some mangoes so will give that a try tonight!

Everyone I know in rl who is trying it hasn't had a problem with gagging at all and as you say the book says it isn't a problem so good to hear that it does happen and can be overcome

bunnybunyip Fri 23-Oct-09 13:51:37

I have had the same problem, I have had a short break and restarted a couple of weeks later and things seem to be better. However I did try puree and the same thing happened anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now