Talk

Advanced search

Polenta - is it too salty for a 9 month old?

(5 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Mon 12-Oct-09 16:41:30

That's it really! It tastes really salty and the two ingredients are polenta and salt. We're doing BLW and we had it for dinner the other evening so gave DD some but now worried we shouldn't have given it to her?

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 12-Oct-09 16:42:00

Sorry, maize and salt, not polenta and salt! blush

Hulla Tue 13-Oct-09 08:53:47

How much salt does it have? Is it the ready made polenta?

We buy the stuff you stir into water to make polenta mash or leave to set yourself. I think its salt free (its very bland!).

DD (8.5 months) had some last week with a bean stew. I added some parmesan, let it set and then cut it into fingers for her. She liked it (DH wasn't so convinced and after he accidentally called it placenta I can't face eating it for a little while now grin ).

I imagine your dd will be fine, I think the salt think can be balanced out over a couple of days or so.

MrsBadger Tue 13-Oct-09 09:02:39

I'd do as Hulla says and make your own
unsalted it is disgustingly bland though

if you do use the readymade stuff read the nutrition info on the packet and compare the salt levels to the FSA advice - babies should have less than 1g a day (and remember other 'made' foods like bread, biscuits etc can be v salty)

sherby Tue 13-Oct-09 09:07:43

I thought this was a baby name thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now