Talk

Advanced search

Do I really have to do baby rice & purees?? (long sorry)

(13 Posts)
AnnetteTwitcher Sat 10-Oct-09 08:27:31

I posted earlier about DS's tummy bug following 1 week of weaning & need some more advice..
He vomitted copiously and had foul nappies on Monday am after 1 week of wide variety of finger foods given once or twice a day(veggies/fruits/rice cakes/bread & a litle cheese) and some spoonfeeding so I went back to plain milk feeds until thursday morning when I gave him finely ground porridge/fresh banana and he puked again.

I'd already taken him to doctor who said it was a tummy bug so I called NHS direct who said to give him babyrice for a week then slowly introduce pureed root veggies etc...as he has food sensitivity...now I'm confused! Can you have food sensitivity from porridge and banana??? Or did I not allow enough time for him to get better??

Really wanted to do BLW and have waited until 26 weeks as I read that you can then introduce wide variety of foods.

So far he has been fine on the baby rice (no vomiting) but he hates it and was doing sooo well on finger foods that I'm loathed to give them up. But, of course, I don't want to hurt him so does anyone have advice about how to take BLW approach - i.e are there finger foods that are not going to upset a tiny tum?

Thanks!

bunnybunyip Sat 10-Oct-09 08:31:35

Not sure...could you try rice cakes? Sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a minute.

Knickers0nMahead Sat 10-Oct-09 08:32:22

Nhs would say give him purees. id stick with blw and write a food diary if possible to see which foods he gets on better with.

pippel Sat 10-Oct-09 08:33:26

steamed veg instead of pureed?

overmydeadbody Sat 10-Oct-09 08:33:30

Could you not just leave it a couple more weeks with just milk and then re-introduce foods slowly, as finger foods, and see what, if anything, he reacts to?

Also, maybe see ig any posters on the allergy topic might have some experience and could help?

overmydeadbody Sat 10-Oct-09 08:34:24

yep no need to puree the veg, just give it to him cooked but whole.

Montifer Sat 10-Oct-09 08:37:40

Have a look at this site. Really helpful info and a great forum to get BLW advice.
This is great too.
Milk is the main source of nutrition for a good while yet.
IME BLW took away all the stress of what they 'should' be eating, as the name suggests, the baby leads the way.
Good luck

Pingpong Sat 10-Oct-09 08:49:25

I don't have any experience of allergies myself but am a BLW fan. My friend's baby had a banana allergy (connected to rubber/latex allergies apparently)so she vomited after every banana so it is definitely a possibility.
Like the others say - go back to milk and keep a food diary and stick with BLW if that's what you want to do

FaintlyMacabre Sat 10-Oct-09 08:50:45

I wouldn't take weaning advice from NHS direct (or advice about much else tbh). I doubt they've even heard of BLW anyway.

I second what everyone else has said. Maybe just stick with plain steamed veg, fruit (I would go for apples, pears and bananas, not oranges, strawberries etc) and rice cakes for a few weeks, before introducing more foods.

It was probably a tummy bug that has upset his gut and it may take a little while to settle down. We had something similar at the start of weaning but everything was fine after a few weeks.

AnnetteTwitcher Sat 10-Oct-09 09:45:06

Now that sounds much more like the kind of advice that makes sense! I was a bit hmm over the NHS direct puree directive.

The common thing he ate on both puking days was banana but I had no idea that it could cause a reaction.

I'm going back to BLW minus banana for now and definitely minus mush.

Thanks very much.

IsItMeOr Sat 10-Oct-09 11:04:13

Hi, just to say my DS started BLW about 5 weeks ago. He hasn't had the vomiting you mention, but his tummy does seem to be taking a while to adapt to coping with solids. He still seems to be quite disrupted with his napping and sleeping, which for him has tended to be digestion related.

A friend who started with BLW but is now doing purees and being really careful as she has a lot of allergies has just introduced fruit and veg to start with, but then introduced proteins a couple of days ago (not quite 7 months) and after chicken he got diarhoea (sp?) and after beans he projectile vomited. He also projectile vomited when she initially introduced fruit and veg in a BLW way, but seemed to grow out of that.

I think my point is, if your baby is going to do this, I don't think whether it is puree or BLW style, on my anecdotal experience, it doesn't seem to have made a differene - logically, why would it?

Good luck and hope you and your DS get on with the weaning.

AnnetteTwitcher Sat 10-Oct-09 12:30:24

Agree wholeheartedly that purees or blw won't make a difference with intolerances/general unexplained vomitting

The reason I'm so keen on baby centred approach is that from a bit of research it seems to be a good way to start healthy relationship with food.

Will stick to giving tiny amount of finger foods once or twice a day max and build up super slowly on simple things.

he chowed down on a finger of toast earlier and has kept that down so hopefully we are back on track.

Thanks v much for all words of wisdom - muchly appreciated.

IsItMeOr Sat 10-Oct-09 17:35:29

I would say you should do what you think is right (within reason!) for weaning. I have another friend who started off down BLW route, then got a bit anxious, asked HV about it, got really anxious, started giving him 3 full meals per day plus puddings as purees and both of them hate it. He isn't growing any faster than my DS - both just following their percentiles. Personally I'd go for what you find most enjoyable/least hassle (as that will generally be what works best for your LO ime), keep an eye on their growth to start with and only worry if they drop horrendously, or stop looking happy and active. But I may be a bit slovenly grin.

I do try to ensure that I offer DS a balanced meal at lunchtime - so some carbs, some fruit/veg and a source of protein.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now