Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend any weaning books?

(7 Posts)
mummingbird Wed 07-Oct-09 23:14:12

My DD1 is 4 months old and I would like to start researching weaning. Where do I start? Which authors are good?

Also, what is BLW?

MrsJamin Thu 08-Oct-09 10:48:09

If you've heard of BLW then I'd get the Gill Rapley book Baby Led Weaning - although I'd see if your library has it as I think it might be something you can read once and not really need to refer back to it that often. BLW is great

mummingbird Thu 08-Oct-09 13:15:31

ah thanks. Didn't even know what BLW stood for!

BikeRunSki Thu 08-Oct-09 13:35:02

I have the NCT one (Weaning and First Foods I think it is called). Pretty sensible and down to earth and doesn't expect you to spend hours in the kitchen or fret to much about what is eaten when/ how often. Has ideas for spoon feeding and finger foods.

I was about to put it on Ebay. Would uou liek it? Say £5 posted? I also have Annabel Karmel's Top 100 Finger Foods - brand new - if you are interested?

mummingbird Fri 09-Oct-09 21:12:18

I have already ordered a book from amazon... just chose the bestseller... annabel karmel one. Thanks anyway though. Any thoughts on Annabel Karmel? The book hasn't arrived yet.

MrsJamin Sat 10-Oct-09 17:38:45

to be honest I don't like her insistence that purees are a necessary stage of the weaning process. I don't trust that she builds a huge business empire on this "fact". I'm happier to trust a HV who has researched in this area and has no selfish business interest in how you wean your baby - i.e. Gill Rapley. I weaned DS very happily without AK's advice and have a nearly 2YO boy who will eat just about anything.

HeidiT Wed 14-Oct-09 12:49:43

I have been using Gina Ford and it is fab. Been using since 5 months and she is now six months and have loved all the food I have given her. It is great as she tells you when to increase the solids and decrease the milk to get them into 3 meals a day. Gives you days by day routine of what times to feed and how much to feed. I would not have had a clue otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now