Talk

Advanced search

Gagging on lumps/stage 2 foods (and reflux)

(3 Posts)
jellybeans Tue 06-Oct-09 12:21:27

Hi, my 10.5 month old has reflux and often chokes on the regurgitated milk, he is on medicine for this. He has accepted purrees from 5.5 months and we have been trying to introduce lumps as advised by HV and Paed. He has a mix of cereal/jars/home made mushed but prefers jars as they are so runny!

Anyway, when given lumpy food (eg stage 2 lumpy jars) he gags and makes choking noises and then refuses any more, the same when given a piece of banana or baby biscuit. As he splutters/chokes anyway (with the reflux) I am scared of him badly choking (so too chicken to try give him finger foods till he can chew lumps). He seems OK on slightly lumpy weetabix etc but not anything like pasta/bits chopped stuff. Any advice gratefully accepted!!

ChairmumMiaow Tue 06-Oct-09 12:34:33

I don't know how the reflux affects things but babies are often better once they can handle their own foods as they are in control - they put as much as they want in their mouths and don't have to deal with lumps off a spoon which are, IIRC, harder to deal with. Why not try something nice and easy to suck, like a breadstick and let him have a go?

jellybeans Tue 06-Oct-09 18:42:33

Thanks, I will give it a try. He can handle foods and has tried rice cake and baby biscuit and cut up banana sticks. He gags and chokes and makes me nervous wreck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now