Talk

Advanced search

does/did anyone else's 8mo hardly eat anything?

(4 Posts)
drivingmisscrazy Sat 03-Oct-09 18:08:31

DD is 8 months old, was weaned at 26 weeks, was exclusively breastfed til that point. All went well at first (including 10 days or so where she slept through grin), but she had a hard time with cutting her top teeth and now she eats miniscule (but variable) amounts. If we get 1/4 of a fishfinger and a few mouthfuls of broccoli into her that's a goodish meal. We've tried home-made, jars, finger foods, nothing seems to make much difference -

She'll eat a fair range of things, and eats better earlier in the day. She's a fine weight and healthy and happy. She has about 600ml of milk, but never takes more than 150ml at a sitting. She wakes for one feed in the night which I'd like to get rid of, but she does seem to be actually hungry. She prefers to feed herself, but will eat porridge or yogurt from a spoon.

I'm not worried as such, but wondering if other people have had this experience (all the ladies on the post natal thread seem to have scoffers, DD is more like a nineteenth-century heroine) and when it got better (I myself was a pathetically bad eater until about the age of 8 - all resolved now, though wink). Was there anything you did to encourage more consumption of solids?

Montifer Sat 03-Oct-09 18:15:58

I found BLW took away all the stress of how much DS should be eating when he was weaning as it is baby led.

He didn't get into food until 8-9 months but seemed to go from not much to devouring everything.
He was bf so I was confident that he was getting all the nutrients he needed.

We just kept offering a small selection of finger foods and he seemed to really go for it when he mastered sitting balance and pincer grip.

Also found this helpful.

At 16 months he's now the most enthusiastic diner amongst his peers smile

drivingmisscrazy Sat 03-Oct-09 19:02:26

thanks - we are BLW, more or less, it's just that the baby is not doing much leading IYSWIM...she sits very well and has her pincer grip more or less organised

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 03-Oct-09 19:09:54

dmc - My ds didn't eat solids until he was well into 8 months, and didn't really eat much at all until he started nursery at 13 months. He was almost ex-bf for his first year!

I was tearing my hair out, v worried, he was my first and like you, everyone else's baby seemed to be eating anything and everything in sight. I tried spoon feeding jars, tried him on baby rice, BLW; nothing, nada, zip.

When he did start eating though, he ate everything. We just let him work it out for himself eventually. He's now 2 and a half and a really good eater - in fact we're just about to sit down to a curry together!

I tried to make a point of sitting down all together as a family to eat meals - or not, in ds' case - and just make sure he had food available. By contrast, dd - who is 7 months - eats anything and everything in sight, and started herself on solids at 5.5 months by nicking a chip off my plate! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now