Talk

Advanced search

BLW concerns - can anyone offer their advice?

(5 Posts)
Olive11 Fri 02-Oct-09 22:24:54

My ds is 17 weeks and showing no signs of needing to wean at all so I am asking this in preparation for the coming months.

I really like the sound of BLW from the little I know about it. It sounds the easy option, I have older children and it would be great for us all to be able to eat the same food together and it really appeals to be to not have to get the blender out etc.

My concern is that we are advised not to wean before 26 weeks as it can not be determined whether a babies gut is ready before this time to digest solid food. But how can a baby be only able to digest milk one week and then whole foods the next? The only thing drawing me towards the more convential method of giving mashed up food to begin with is that I don't want to suddenly give my ds something his gut is not able to cope with after only having milk before.

I don't know much about this which is why I am asking for advice but surely mashed up food is easier on the gut to begin with?

winnybella Fri 02-Oct-09 23:19:14

I don't think it's about mashed food being easier to digest. When you do BLW and give a baby, say a well-cooked carrot stick, she will mash it with her gums.
We're doing BLW and one thing that's great about it is that you can have a family dinner, baby eats by herself and there's no taking turns to feed the puree.
It does create quite a lot of mess and takes a bit longer.
If you start at 26 weeks, begin with soft cooked veggies and ripe fruits, see how it goes and move on to cheese, pasta etc.

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 02-Oct-09 23:27:16

ah, it's because it doesn't work like that, really. you've kinda got a shorthand version.

basically, as i understand it, the deal is that at some time between 17 weeks and 26 weeks-ish, everything falls into place for eating. gut matures and you're good to go. but how do you know when that's happened? well, you don't, really, which is why it's smart to keep to the outside figure. by 26 weeks or so, they're all ready to eat. some might have been ready for weeks, some for a few days, but you're not getting children at that stage who aren't ready. do you see? it's a bet-hedging thing.

now, as it happens, having waited patiently until 26 weeks with dd1 (well, nearly, she grabbed a peach out of my hand a few days before) i was a bit more chilled about it with dd2. she was prem, and the advie with preemies is v confusing, some docs say wean early, some late. however, i figured that when she grabbed food out of my hand i'd let her take it, leave the decision up to her.

sure enough, at five months corrected, six and a half after she was born, she swiped and licked and chewed. took a couple more weeks until she swallowed and then she took to it fine.

so i guess what i'm saying is that you're coming to it a bit ass-backward. grin the GREAT thing about blw is that if they're not ready, they simply cannot eat it. they'll lick etc, maybe, if they can hold the food for a while, but basically all the ducks have to be in line before they can get started. and it would be nuts to think that the human body was designed for their backs, hands, fingers, mouths and tongue etc to be ready to eat, without having first sorted out the stomach. grin

Olive11 Sat 03-Oct-09 08:05:37

I think I need to be a bit better informed, I'll look into it more over the next few weeks.

Thanks for your help

AitchTwoToTangOh Sat 03-Oct-09 10:06:48

it's a good question, olive, but just think of it as being 'everything needs to fall into place developmentally' rather than 'she'll not be ready one week and will the next'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now