Talk

Advanced search

can a 7 month old eat something with semi-skimmed milk in? or best to avoid?

(4 Posts)
happynappies Fri 02-Oct-09 14:38:07

I'm making rice pudding this afternoon, and only have semi-skimmed milk in. I thought about giving our blw ds who is 7 months old a taste... I know generally speaking they shouldn't have reduced fat milk until over 12 months, just wondered if the consensus was that it would be ok to try or best to avoid? He can always have fruit instead!

bumpybecky Fri 02-Oct-09 14:40:27

I wouldn't worry about it, let him have some

Semi-skimmed isn't harmful to babies, just not as good as full fat milk. As a one off (or very occasional) thing it'll be fine as long as he's still having breastmilk or formula as his main drink / food.

I'm not an expert or health professional but seem to have raised four kids without damaging them yet....

MamaChris Fri 02-Oct-09 14:47:43

agree with bumpybecky. full fat milk is better than skimmed because more calories, but there's nothing actually wrong with skimmed. occasional semi-skimmed certainly better than your ds missing out on some yummy rice pudding

BelleWatling Sat 03-Oct-09 14:10:40

I only buy semi-skimmed milk because I only used it for DS's breakfast 3-4 times a week and if I bought a pint most would be thrown down the sink as I cannot bear full fat (yuk). If semi-skimmed milk was their main drink then it would be a problem but as most of their milk I presume will be formula or breastmilk it will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now