Talk

Advanced search

10 month old hardly eats any solids

(11 Posts)
NicholaH Fri 02-Oct-09 09:42:53

Hi

We moved out to Malaysia from the UK 3 months ago and ever since then, I've been having problems with my little boy's appetite.

I can hardly get him to eat anything other than bread or rusks (as well as his usual formula) and mealtimes are a battle. Do you think it's just a phase?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want him to starve but I don't want him to start hating mealtimes too

greensnail Fri 02-Oct-09 09:52:39

Try not to worry too much, as he will be getting most of his nutrition from his milk anyway, and if he senses that you're anxious its more likely to make him anxious.

What sort of foods are you offering him? Do you eat with him?

I would offer him a bit of whatever you're eating, and let him get on with it while you eat yours. You're much less likely to get stressed if you haven't made something especially for him, as it seems to matter less if he refuses it!

MrsBadger Fri 02-Oct-09 09:56:04

what are you offering him?
at about this age dd was into finger food rather than anythign on a spoon, and sharing your food with him is a good plan.
can you spread stuff on his bread? cream cheese? scrambled egg? hummus type stuff? peanut butter? (not sure what you can get out there)

until they're 1 milk is their main source of nutrition so do not beta yourself up about it, and def do not make it a battle.

NicholaH Fri 02-Oct-09 10:06:32

thanks ladies

I don't have my main meal with him as hubby and I eat later but I make sure I'm having toast or a sandwich or something

I'm offering:

toast (he'll more often than not eat this)
scrambled eggs - loves them thankfully!
vegetables (steamed carrots, broccoli etc)
lots of finger foods and jars, he did like jars initially but will only eat certain ones and even then, not very much of them. Strawberries, banana, watermelon, yogurts - he'll eat these no problem but I'm just worried that he's not getting enough protein in his diet - he still wakes up at least once in the night

I put laughing cow spread on his toast and sometimes a teeny bit of marmite

I see and hear about other mum's offering their babies allsorts and them wolfing it down and it's really disheartening when Aidan doesn't want to eat anything. for the most part he'll get a couple of spoons in and the rest of the food on his tray will end up on the floor

I've thought about peanut butter as it's widely available here but am a bit nervous about trying it with him (neither DH or myself have any peanut allergies)

greensnail Fri 02-Oct-09 10:17:41

Sounds like he's doing fine, that's quite a lot of variety. I would be tempted to put less emphasis on the jars, and offer more food he can feed himself. He'll be getting plenty of protein from his milk, eggs and yoghurts.

I would take the plunge with the peanut butter. DD loves it on toast, and its such a quick thing to offer her that's quite nutritious. The chances of him having an allergy to it are small, if there's no allergies in the family.

He'll sleep through when he's ready, and night waking is often unrelated to food intake. DD sometimes sleeps through and sometimes wakes. Yesterday she ate loads more than usual and was up in the night for a feed.

NicholaH Fri 02-Oct-09 10:43:28

lol, yeah sometimes he's got a fair buffet spread out in front of him!

he just seems to graze so it hardly looks like anything but I also have to remember he's only got a small tummy - guess I'm just being overcautious... I'll try peanut butter but will have to get smooth as we only have chunky in at the mo - or would chunky be ok?

MrsBadger Fri 02-Oct-09 10:59:27

oh well that is not nearly as bad as it sounded at first smile

go with the chunky peanut butter, if he doesn;t like it he'll let you know!
and greensnail is right re night waking and also re ditching jars - apart from anythign else they cost a fortune compared to real food.

If you don;t eat dinner with ds, try saving leftovers a small portion from yours for him to have the next day - much easier than cooking special things separately.

NicholaH Fri 02-Oct-09 11:13:05

yeah looking back at my initial post, I sound like a bit of a fraud lol, but at the the time it's pretty apparent that in a sitting hes not eating that much, but I guess over the course of the day it will all add up

will try him with PB and toast for breakfast tomorrow as he's gone right off his baby rice lol

he's sitting eating scrambled eggs, bread and cheese spread as I type and I've discovered that he seems to get on better and eat more when I'm not sitting next to him lol

MrsBadger Fri 02-Oct-09 11:15:19

NB I can see his point re baby rice - it is revolting!
Try ready brek or porridge, but dd loved mini shredded wheats to pick up in her fingers (splosh with milk to soften)

DwayneDibbley Fri 02-Oct-09 11:23:22

Message withdrawn

NicholaH Fri 02-Oct-09 13:59:17

might try him with some cornflakes too - tried him with porridge and he just refuses to entertain it lol

I think I'll try and relax a bit more about it and if he eats, then great but as long as he's getting his milk then I guess he's OK

little monkey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now