Talk

Advanced search

BLW - just started - bringing up milk...

(6 Posts)
jasperc163 Thu 01-Oct-09 19:11:00

Just started this today with DD2 (26 weeks). She has had a vague nibble on a banana, a rice cake and a organix rusk but not really eating/swallowing. I know that will come.
However she gagged slightly on the rusk (nothing of concern) and brought alot of milk up which is not ideal!

Is this normal?

thanks

Seona1973 Thu 01-Oct-09 19:54:01

yes - at the start it is very normal as they get to grips with their gag reflex.

jasperc163 Fri 02-Oct-09 11:09:16

thanks Seona. Will just keep going (and hope we don't lose too much milk in the process). I have since read on another post somewhere that Organix rusks are particularly claggy and seem to make them do this more, so will maybe hold off on them for a while.

Cosmogirl Mon 05-Oct-09 19:58:42

Hi there,

We just started BLW a week ago and so far have had three vomiting sessions. It is not pleasant is it? With my DD it seems to be that she sticks things too far into her throat and triggers the reflex. Breadsticks and a bit of roasted pepper were the culprits. It isn't good when they bring up milk and you are in negative calorie territory but I guess they have to learn the process of handling the food in their mouths and swallowing.

DD has swallowed some bits as we have seen nappy evidence but not sure if it was swallowing by accident or intent!

Hope it gets better for you.

PS. I bought some of those Organix rusks today - they have a very strong smell! DD had a bit of a suck and a nibble but most of it got thrown on the floor

jasperc163 Fri 09-Oct-09 18:11:33

thanks cosmogirl - is your DD actually that interested? Nothing actually going down atm - which i suppose means she isnt ready

IsItMeOr Sat 10-Oct-09 14:19:06

That sounds distressing, but I think a bit of vomiting at the start is perfectly normal. DS is about 5 weeks into BLW and I've noticed that I have to be careful not to "force" too much BF on him - a bit tricky as he is in a very fidgety/distractable BFing phase at mo, so hard to know when he finished, lol - otherwise he seems to be a bit sick.

I think he's beginning to get more in now and also beginning to want it more, but it was a good few weeks before that happened for him. I just stuck to one meal a day until he seemed more positive about it, and we're now on two a day. I'll introduce a third when it seems right.

Good luck and just keep trying different things - remember, it's really about them playing for the first few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now