Talk

Advanced search

BLW question about whole pieces of carrot in nappy

(2 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Wed 30-Sep-09 10:08:04

DD is 8 months and we've been doing BLW since 6 months. She loves it and seems to be eating quite a lot. She is also now really good at picking up small things like beans and rice and getting them to her mouth. But quite a lot of things, especially smaller things things like beans and raisins come out the other end completely whole. This morning she had whole sticks of carrot her poo!

I just wondered whether this is ok - she's obviously fine with swallowing it, but I was more concerned that she's not getting any of the goodness from the food because its coming out the same as it went in! MIL said thats why I should puree food, because babies guts aren't developed enough to break down the food so it needs to be mushy before it goes in. I'm sure this isn't right, is it? I'm assuming some must get digested as some of the poo looks like, well, poo!

MrsJamin Wed 30-Sep-09 11:46:11

it's totally normal, your baby's guts are learning how to digest foods and it takes a while. If you pureed the food, it wouldn't make any difference to whether the nutrients were being absorbed, you just wouldn't recognise bits as they would be pureed. This is partly why they say food's for fun until they're 1 - their gut can't make the best out of the food that they are eating for a little while, that's why milk's still v important for nutrition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now