Talk

Advanced search

What age should i encourage my 15month old ds to eat his dinner on his own?

(9 Posts)
vickiadele Mon 28-Sep-09 19:24:59

My 15 month old ds enjoys eating grabby foods on his own and i gave him some beans the other day and a spoon which he ate all of using his hands not the spoon, he tends to throw it everywhere, is he too young to try this yet, my sisters dd was eating perfectly on her own by now hmm

plimple Mon 28-Sep-09 19:27:43

I encouraged use of own spoon from day 1. Not too young to be able, but if he hasn't had the chance to do it himself yet he's going to need a bit more time and encouragement.

plimple Mon 28-Sep-09 19:28:13

Why don't you speak to your sister?

lavenderkate Mon 28-Sep-09 19:32:49

Sorry to sound a bit sexist here but I have found that boys are a bit behind on doing it for themselves!
Keep persevering. Weetabix is quite easy with spoons. smile

vickiadele Mon 28-Sep-09 20:05:11

he is on weetabix at the mo, so will try that, not that close to sister really. He has always had a spoon, grabbed it off me a while back, lol, i guess i just get worried about how much he manages to eat, compared to how much goes on the floor blush

Horton Mon 28-Sep-09 21:36:06

DD is three and still eats most things with her hands. She's perfectly capable of using a spoon and fork but just likes eating with her hands. Don't worry. I'm pretty sure she and your son will be just fine by the time they actually need to be. Also, the food on floor thing is a bit like the sick after milk thing. One day you just suddenly notice they're not doing it any more.

cookielove Mon 28-Sep-09 21:37:55

give him a spoon that he can feed himself with and one for you to 'help' with

lavenderkate Mon 28-Sep-09 21:40:34

Meant to say cookie, he is still very small. Dont worry about it.
There are many teenagers who still cant use cutlery wink

cookielove Mon 28-Sep-09 21:57:14

i was actually meaning he has a spoon to experiement with and have his own spoon, and you can feed him with yours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now