Talk

Advanced search

BLW for a baby with a *very* strong gag reflex?

(9 Posts)
phdlife Mon 28-Sep-09 12:05:20

dd is 24 weeks. when she was little she was a bit refluxy but she's outgrown that now. However I gave her a steamed carrot stick and she got the end of that off, mumbled it round in her mouth a bit, then got it to the back of her tongue and then vomited.

Same again today with a bit of green bean. Substantial vomits too - had to change both of us, and she hadn't been bfed for a good couple of hours.

Do I leave it a bit? Persist? She doesn't seem to mind the vomiting but I do!

henstooth Mon 28-Sep-09 13:33:37

No answers I'm afraid but I'm having the same problem...DD is 6.5 months old, I've tried roasted veg and DD did the same thing as yours - gagged, made a kind of 'aaaah' noise then puked up.

Tried again with toast and then pita bread and she did the same thing - she has really good coordination so no problem picking the food up, getting it to her mouth and gumming bits off, it's after that she doesn't seem to be able to get it off the back of her tongue and so just pukes.

Yesterday I gave her an Organix carrot stix wotsit thing and she managed it with no gagging - scoffed the whole thing but it sort of dissolves on her tongue.

So I'm thinking maybe it's the texture. I might try to give her some sugar free rusks or continue with the organix things until she gets the hang of swallowing then try her again with the veg, bread etc.

Maybe someone who's been through this phase and come through the other side can help?

LeonieSoSleepy Mon 28-Sep-09 13:36:39

Message withdrawn

henstooth Mon 28-Sep-09 19:53:23

We're currently doing a bit of both methods (BLW and purees) - didn't really want to but I work 4 days a week and our nanny (who also looks after another 2 children at the same time) has never done blw before and I don't want her to do something she's not familiar with while DD is being so pukey, as she has to juggle the 3 kids at mealtimes(gagging on its own would be fine just without the puking)....

She seems to take the purees with no problem so she's doing blw with me and puree with nanny (though I gave her said Organix crisps today and they apparently went down a storm - she was most impressed).

Am hoping we can revert over to full blw though as soon as poss as I really think the whole approach is better in the longer term.

moopymoo Mon 28-Sep-09 19:56:44

yep ds2 was a vomiter - he only had to cough a bit then huge vomit. hence me going back to purees. not sure what the blw hardline way would be, but it wasnt working for us. he eats food just fine now smile

iwantitnow Mon 28-Sep-09 20:11:35

Giving purees is not the work of the devil. Be baby led - if baby eats purees but not finger food give purees. I hate vomiting I don't think a baby would enjoy it.

Can your baby sit up independently. I think this is a good sign for blw personally.

phdlife Tue 29-Sep-09 11:56:14

I did a little of both with ds, lacking the confidence to go full BLW route so I wouldn't not do that, just wondered if they outgrow the vom thing, if purees help, etc. We might try some mash first [lazy emoticon]. Or I might wait another week, she's getting stronger by the minute...

Cosmogirl Mon 05-Oct-09 20:10:36

Another vommy one here! Started BL last week (DD 26 wks) and we have had three vomits so far. It is not nice. The book does mention it in the gagging section but says 'a little vomit'...hmm it isn't little from where I am standing. Would be interested to hear how things develop for you. I am stubborn so going to persist with BL but if the vomiting keeps up I might have to think again.

woodforthetrees Mon 05-Oct-09 20:54:48

My DD is 8.5 months now and has been a vommer from the start.

I started the homemade puree route - the first few days we saw a lot of puke. In the last 3 or so weeks I've started mixing finger foods with puree and in the last week have started giving her more textured stuff (small pasta with sauce/couscous mixed in with foods/mashed fish and pots) . Before that I was finding she'd dribble out milk/puree mix. If I give her more mashed food which is thicker in texture, the vomming seems to be better.

We've struggled the most in the evening when we have tea about 5ish and then when she took her bedtime milk (6.45ish) she'd more often than not chuck up all the milk and hence most of her tea....I ended up cutting tea down a bit and cutting milk down and have gradually increased it again but it's a fine balance. If she's chucked up her tea, I often give her a quick bottle at 10ish so I know she's got a full tummy in the night.

A couple of friends have said their pukey kids have got beter when they started walking...maybe it's an age thing too. I was so unprepared for a pukey baby - DS was never a puker !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now